Author Topic: Oranges and Sunshine from book Empty Cradles  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Oranges and Sunshine from book Empty Cradles
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »
There is a good film being released on 1st of April called Oranges and Sunshine which is the story adapted from a book called Empty Cradles. It tells of children who were lied to and sent from Britain to homes in Australia,Canada and Rhodesia,they often had a terrible time adjusting and were treated badly. The children were told their parents were dead which was often not true. This was happening until 1967. As many as 150,000 children, some as young as four were sent away.The parents were told the children has been adopted in Britain. George Brown actually apologised to the families not long ago for the lies.
Jim Loach the son of Ken Loach has directed the film and the book was by Margaret Humphreys a social worker.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:39:32 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
Gordon Brown won't be happy that you've forgotten his name, he only left the job of Prime Minister recently  ;)

Saw clips of it, and Jim Loach on BBC Breakfast earlier - does appear to be quite a film in a number of ways...

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
Whoops!

Offline milorni

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
I read the book in utter disbelief, a complete betrayal of so many people through a practice that carried on well into the 1970's. Awful but compelling.I will go armed with my tissues :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:39:43 PM by milorni »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf