Author Topic: Lots of Stuff  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Atug Family

Lots of Stuff
« on: August 15, 2011, 17:07:17 PM »
My name is Debbie and I am thinking of moving to Chalis or that area with my family.  My husband is Turkish and we have 2 children, a girl of 2 years and a boy of 9 months.  My husband and I lived in Turkey before we had our little girl for a year however I could not handle living in Alanya as I was, quite literally, bored to tears.    So we have been in England for about 3 years now and, well, we are considering moving back.  Our reasons are that we work like absolute dogs and have no quality of life.  We run our own Cafe together and at nighttime we do delivery and takeaway food, so you can see not much free time.  I can see that a move back to Turkey would give us a lot more for our money and therefore a better quality of life, however because of my past experience I am quite worried.  Things are obviously very different with children which, naturally take up most of my day and stop me getting bored and I have a friend who lives in Chalis and so therefore some of my fears are gone.   Anyway what I want to know is
1. What are schools like?  
2.  What things are there to do for grown ups?
3. Anyone that replies I would like to know what they miss from England
4. Are there childrens groups like there are in England eg swimming clubs, soft play areas, dance classes, gymnastics, Judo, kick boxing that sort of thing?  
5. Is there a cinema?
6.  Anyone on the forum run their own business?
7. Peoples opinion of areas around chalis which might be a bit more lively?

Grateful to hear from anyone.  Thanks  Debbie

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Lots of Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 18:41:16 PM »
hi debbie and a warm welcome can only answer one question
yes there is a cinema

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Lots of Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 21:22:26 PM »
Hi Debbie
There are a few Mums who meet regularly with their children.  I'm sure one of them will answer soon and a new play park has just opened behind the Mado ice cream parolour on the prom.  Loads of other little play areas are dotted around both Calis and Fethyie too.
There are also a few charities in and around Calis who would be glad of your help, time permitting.  I can't see you being bored at all.

Offline Julesp

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 23:11:57 PM »
I think Fethiye would be a better place for you to come to rather than Calis. Calis closes down a lot in the winter but Fethiye is a working town so except for tourist shops in Paspatur Everything is open all year
Alanya I think is more geared to Germans and now russians Here there is a big Uk expat community

The cinema is in Fethiye

I dont miss any of the way of life from England

I couldnt give advice re schools but I know english with turk partners here who are happy with them and the children are also settled and happy

I work for Fig here ,Fethiye International Group,and we have a charity shop. the first of its kind here, and many of our volunteers working there have made good friends and meet together for nights and days out

xx

Offline maecy

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 15:23:10 PM »
Hi Debbie, my family and I moved to Calis from Ankara recently. We love it and hopefully I can answer a few of your questions. So far as schools go there ae a couple of private ones and lots of local ones. Compulsory schooling starts the school year your child turns 7, some schools will also have a class forthe year before that. My oldest is 6 so he is starting this september. We had a look at both the private and free schools. I found the private ones to be a lot of money for not very much, and the finish time of 4.30 to be a bit much for a 6 year old. We settled on a free one called Yunis Naddi, it has a lot of other half turkish kids like mine (and yours of couse) is big on creativity and the class sizes compare well to standard British schools. You might want to consider living within its catchment area, it is very popular as it is very unusual so far as the free schools go.
So far a sport clubs go, there is a club in fethiye owned by the council that does classes for kids for free. We haven't had a go yet as we've spent most of our time so far on the beach.
There are a fair few other mothers dotted about Calis Fethiye and Uzumlu, we get together once a week or so.
I miss libraries otherwise not much! But I've been in Turkey for seven years now so my craving for pork has pretty much abated.
Hope some of that helps
Mary

Offline johnboy1967

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 15:43:56 PM »
Hi mary , Debbie is a friend of ours and may be coming over soon for a look around the area.
 Could you tell me the catchment area for the school you have recommended please thanx. Johnboy

Offline maecy

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 16:42:34 PM »
The school is at the far end of the fethiye marina near the army/ police station. You would need to check with the school or the muncipality for the exact catchment area. Alternaively you can appeal to the mayor for a school place outside your catchment area. Mary

Offline Atug Family

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 17:33:49 PM »
Hi Mary
Thanks very much for your reply.    I am hoping to come over for a scouting trip soon maybe we could meet up for a cuppa and a chat if you are free.  Useful info re schools and fethiye.   Thanks

Offline maecy

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:02:12 AM »
Hi Debbie, I'd be happy to meet, if you are here after september 12th I may be slightly more knowledgeable as my oldest will have actually started school. Message me when you get here and we'll set something up
best
Mary

Offline Angelic

Lots of Stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 15:12:13 PM »
Hi maecy Yunniş Naddi is an excellent school, my neighbours son has been there for 2 years and in September her youngest will start, he isnt 5 until October so will be in reception. Yusuf has done really well and got 5 for every subject on his report. Hope this may be of a little help to you. Their mother is also on this forum so if you do need anymore help please pm me and i can put you in touch with her.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf