Author Topic: Registration of UK phones stopped????  (Read 6215 times)

Offline AandP

• Uzumlu
Registration of UK phones stopped????
« on: April 22, 2013, 16:05:13 PM »
Hi.

We tried to register our mobile phone today at a Turkcell shop in Fethiye and were informed that it is no longer possible to register a UK phone to use beyond a 2-3 week period with a Turkish SIM. After this period, the phone becomes locked and cannot be used at all.
We stated that we understood that we could register our mobile with the aid of a tax number (which we possess) our passports and a registration charge to be paid. The helpful assistant stated that this registration process has been withdrawn by the Government, ????.

Has anyone else found this to be so?

Is this correct? It will mean that our expensive UK smart phones are to be rendered useless!... help , advice please....

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Registration of UK phones stopped????
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 16:17:12 PM »
Nothing would surprise me but maybe it's just a shop worker who can't be bothered or doesn't know how to do it.

To be honest we tried this a few years back and it didn't work so we ended up buying a Turkish phone and sim for around 120ytl. It's not a very smart phone though :(

Offline tel

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
There has been a recent change in Turkish law, whereby foreigners cannot import a mobile from outside Turkey and register it in their own name.

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
Try asking at the tax office, thats where you register your phone.  They will tell you if you can or cannot do it now.

Offline daveG

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 17:09:55 PM »
What next? Tel?
I'm beginning to think Turk Gov. has access to Ryanair's  "Think Tank"  ;)

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 19:28:19 PM »
Yes it's true, I was told this about 4 months ago.  8)

Offline phil1839

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 19:54:36 PM »
We have just returned from a trip to England where we purchased two new mobile phones. You have to take the phone and your passport to the Tax Office in Fethiye. Go to the desk where you pay your car tax on the ground floor, they take details of your passport and the imei number of the phone and you give them 115tl, they will then issue you with a receipt.  We then took the receipt to an Avea shop where we purchased a Sim card and they registered the phones in our names. If you have residency you can use different Turkish Sim cards in the phone, with no residency you are restricted to the one sim card which you registered with.  I think you have to register the phones within 1 month of arriving in Turkey. Phil

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 22:30:00 PM »
So nothing has changed then.  Sounds like the original shop do not know their ar*e from their elbow.  I think it is best to use main phone shops rather than the smaller shops who just sell you credits.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:06 AM »
Try Baris in the Avea shop in Fethiye - he's very helpful.  It's the one on the row of shops opposite the Mosque. 

Offline Marggie

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
Like your new avatar Sue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf