Author Topic: Facilities At Ataturk  (Read 1755 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Facilities At Ataturk
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »
Planning a trip in February, which means I'll have to come via Istanbul and have a pretty long wait at Ataturk.

I don't mind really - I'm used to travelling and hanging around airports and to be honest it's quite a nice - and very rare - opportunity to retreat into my shell and just "be".

That said, the facilities can make or break it.... Anyone got any experiences they can share or info about what the lounges are like etc? I've had a quick look on the website and I think I can pay 30 euros to upgrade to one of their Primeclass lounges if I want to which for the amount of time I'll be there might be worth it - but it would be good to hear other forum members' views.

Ta.   :)

Offline philrose

Re: Facilities At Ataturk
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
Considering the prices at Ataturk airport, If you there for any length of time I would opt for one of the premier lounges. You would spend 30 euro on a couple of drinks and snacks...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
I always found IST not too bad - for a few hours. You can window shop and have a (not so cheap) coffee and before you know it your gate is open and you head off in that direction. The CIP/VIP lounge, if you don't mind paying, was fabulous - makes the Dalaman one seem like a soup kitchen  ;)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
We used Airport Angel card in one of the lounges at Istanbul this year, it's free with some Nat West accounts but you can also pay to go in. It is fabulous with all drinks (including alcohol) and food free. Considering how much food and drink costs in the crowded airport, it can make sense. Istanbul has been the best of the few we've used. It really makes the airport experience a treat and most especially if you have a delay.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
I went to the VIP lounge at Ataturk involuntarily - I was in a wheelchair being repatriated. It seemed to be well-stocked with food and wine. Having already eaten well on the Turkish Airline flight from Dalaman I didn't sample the food and my accompanying doctor only allowed me one Efes (they have self-service taps). Plenty of choice of wine too I think.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
There's also a nice collection of bottles of spirits in the main CIP lounge. Fabulous when travelling to DLM, not so good if you have a car waiting for you at Heathrow  :)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
Excellent, thank you everyone - really helpful, as ever.

And good point, philrose, about how I'd probably spend more on food and drink outside the lounge anyway - decision made on that point alone!

Actually rather looking forward to it.....just need to make sure I'm travelling alone now and don't have Mr WB or our daughter in tow!
 : :) :P

Offline Janbee

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
If you have an HSBC premier bank card, you can use their lounge for free.  There is plenty of food to choose from, plus soup, and plenty of alcoholic drinks, tea, coffee, and cold drinks.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:31 PM »
The Finansbank exclusive kredit kart lounge is superb, just wished I was hungrier and there for longer!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf