Author Topic: Debit cards - pay in Lira or Sterling?  (Read 9688 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Debit cards - pay in Lira or Sterling?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 18:31:56 PM »
I was discussing this credit card interest charge on ATM withdrawals with someone on a forum recently (I never do it}. He/she gave an example of how much you would have to pay if you withdrew a big sum at the start of your billing period and had a full month's interest charge. It didn't amount to very much {providing you pay off in full at the end of the billing period}. So you would still be ahead of money exchange in Turkey, further ahead of money exchange in the UK and a very long way ahead of "bad" cards. NOTE: "Bad" here simply refers to overseas spending. It doesn't mean that you have a bad account in the UK. I do my main banking with Santander which pays 3% on large current accounts (up to £20,000) and gives 3 or 2 or 1 percent cashback on utility bills. It is the best UK current account for me. But I wouldn't use their cards abroad. Instead I use Norwich & Peterborough debit card for ATMs (great for £0 + 0% withdrawals abroad but useless as UK main account) and a long-standing Nationwide card credit card (no longer available} for purchases (also £0 + £0%}. If I didn't have the Nationwide card, or their policy changed, I would go to Halifax Clarity instead.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 18:42:13 PM »
I was also wondering whether I could get a fee/charge free ATM withdrawal by using my First Direct card at HSBC in Fethiye where you can choose sterling - then changing at a favourable rate locally. The problem there is, I assume, that the fact it is sterling and not lira is not relevant, it happened abroad and therefore the fee applies? 2.99% at First Direct.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 21:27:50 PM »
I use my FD card at the HSBC ATM and get charged £5 to withdraw sterling.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 21:31:32 PM »
Thanks Linda, that's very useful information.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 21:34:04 PM »
Wish it had been better news Keith.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 21:35:23 PM »
It's not bad news really, I'll just take it out here for nowt and change it over there  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 22:38:01 PM »
Littlereddevil you should query not getting your fiver off/back, I book my flights etc or anything that will amount to over £300 in one month, I them make sure I can pay it off in full when the bill arrives and then get £5 credit off the next transactions...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 00:09:27 AM »
These costs can be ridiculous - £5 for drawing sterling abroad is bad enough but my business account is with Bank of Scotland - I had no idea they made a charge for transactions paid in foreign currencies. Until I noticed the Google Drive I pay $1.99 for every month (£1.40ish?) came with a monthly non-sterling transaction fee of £2.50!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf