Author Topic: Bringing YTL back to uk?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline sadler

Re: Bringing YTL back to uk?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 16:30:20 PM »
And wheelbarrow jokes aside, I have known people who have attempted to walk through and out via Dalaman airport, with the entire proceeds of a property sale stuffed in a holdall.

They didn't succeed

Think I know this person, Scunner. He didn't sell and fit carpets did he, with a villa near the Ernur?  ;

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 16:33:59 PM »
That is him, did you learn how things worked out in the end? I haven't heard from him in years.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 16:53:34 PM »
Patch hasn't posted a response in the two months since he posed the question. Perhaps we'll never know why he/she wants to take TL back to the UK. Proceeds of a bank robbery or drug deal do you suppose?
maybe he has realised that he cannot change YTL

Offline sadler

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 16:57:41 PM »
I knew him quite well business wise, he was a major carpet contractor I used. I believe he was arrested off of the plane but was allowed back minus the money later on.  The person who bought his villa apparently wanted £10k to swear in court that it was the proceeds of his house sale. He told me he wouldn't do that but the last time I saw him about 5years ago, he had to go to Istanbul for legal reasons, so not sure what that was for! We had discussed the situation, prior to him going to Istanbul and he lead me to believe that the money was still being held by the Turkish Authorities  and he was treating it for his peace of mind as a business loss! I also have vague memories of the owner of the Ernur not coming out of it with any popularity, but can't quite remember why!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 18:08:55 PM »
I remember he would hear no bad about said hotel owner. Maybe he will now. I also recall him bringing said hotel owner a bottle of Bacardi from duty free, drinking it a shot at a time himself at the bar over his holiday - and the hotel charging him for every last one!!!

Lessons can take a while to learn unfortunately.

Offline sadler

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 21:20:03 PM »
I seem to remember hearing the story with the duty free before, probably on here. Never for one moment thought that it was him!  ;D

Offline patch

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 18:05:02 PM »
i asked the question , because i was going to change quite a bit of sterling whilst the rate was good , but wouldnt be spending it all on my first visit this year , so would be bringing some home with me .

Offline sadler

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 20:43:34 PM »
You haven't indicated how much you want to take home, but if it is expected holiday expenditure, I would think you have no worries. I started taking home £500 -£1k worth a couple of years ago, but each time it was a higher rate when we got back, so now we only take enough to get us through the first few days. When you work out the movement, the loss or gain is quite small so and really not worth the bother unless, of course, the pound suddenly weakens against the lire by a considerable amount, which looks pretty remote at the moment.   :)

Offline col

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 14:18:00 PM »
how much YTL are you allowed to bring back to the uk ? Thanks

Patch, if you live in or near London, there is a small chain of exchange shops called Thomas Exchange, their buy back rates are excellent compared to banks. Maybe you want to bring back large amounts, but if like me this week, I kept to just under the $5000 limit (11500tl) without the need for extra paperwork and proof etc and the buy back worked out at around 250 pounds more than the average UK bank and no Swift charges either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf