Author Topic: Winter weather in uzumlu  (Read 14396 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Newly Registered
Winter weather in uzumlu
« on: May 19, 2015, 23:17:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the winter weather is like in Uzumlu.
I dreamt of retiring to a warmer climate but not convinced the winter months are so nice in the mountains.
I am just trying to get an idea of when the cooler months are and just how cold it gets. I read somewhere that as the air is still it feels warmer than it really is, is this true ?
I realise you've just had a really bad winter.
Also the house we are considering has under floor heating is this sufficient in the colder months or do I need a log burner put in ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Winter weather in uzumlu
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 23:25:25 PM »
Under floor heating most definitely will not be sufficient on it's own - it will not do too much more than take the chill out of the marble/ceramics - not too different to the feel of a hard floor with a warm pipe running under it. I would suggest you will need proper central heating up there in winter. Most importantly you should discover whether or not the construction was made using 'thermalite' type concrete blocks. If not, it will be the local favourite, terracotta hollow pots - which have no insulation properties to speak of at all.

Offline Yoshi

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 00:26:21 AM »
Thank you scunner thats a good point I will find out !

Offline quackers

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »
Its cold ın the wınter ın turkey a normal wınter temps ın Fethıye 10-15 degrees daytıme (Some days cooler ıf no sun),but mınus degrees at nıght. Even colder ın Uzumlu.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
If it's your intention of living full time in Uzumlu you will need heating. The winters vary in their severity but always cold and damp. As Scunner has mentioned pay close attention to construction materials as only recently have building regs. even considered insulation etc. I have calor gas central heating for a largish villa and found that very expensive at approximately £20 per day! An open fire ( convection ) is a must and I've several oil-filled movable radiators that take the chill off bedrooms. Everyone has their different methods of dealing with this so ask around locally. Tread with care on this and good luck.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
It might seem obvious but you need to make sure that you have doors to each room downstairs. Open plan is great in the summer but it makes the house a bu**er to keep warm in the winter.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 17:04:28 PM »
Open plan is a bad idea in summer too! Trying to keep open plan properties cool with AC is the same problem as trying to heat them effectively in winter.

Offline Yoshi

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 19:16:36 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies, Uzumlu appears to be a lot colder than I originally thought but can I ask how long this cold weather is generally for.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 19:29:16 PM »
Your best bet would be to contact Eric and Fi Robson who are CBF members. They have lived in Uzumlu for some time and have a wealth of knowledge re. the seasons and heating etc. If they see this I'm sure they will help answer any queries you might have.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
Hi Yoshi and welcome to the forum.  I live in the "mountains" and have now experienced three winters here.  Having read your first post and the subsequent replies, you will no doubt still be a bit muddled.

Are you thinking about a new build or pre-built?

Moving to higher ground automatically means it will be cooler than the coast. The heat in the Fethiye area can become quite oppressive, especially in July and August.  In these months, it is usually 4-6 degrees cooler up here and you will be grateful for that. The downside is of course is the temperature difference is still there at other times.  But hey... you can't have everything and no matter where you choose to live, it is never going to perfect.  There are always compromises to be made unless you are rich enough to have a place in Fethiye/Calis in the winter and a place in Uzumlu in the summer!

As regards the actual temperatures up here, I can give you some figures. Where we live, the maximum last year was a day in August when it reached 36.7. Average temp during the summer months is around 28 - 32.  We do not have air conditioning, as there is always a mountain breeze to cool you off.  In winter, the temp is usually between 10 and 14. But this part of Turkey usually gets a cold snap for at least a couple of days with northerly winds. Then the temp can go minus, but we love those clear frosty mornings.

There is still a lot of sun in winter (probably more than the UK in summer) and it is still powerful so it can feel very pleasant. It is also less humid here than near the coast (for obvious reasons).

But that's the thing- we do not have weather, we have climate! The seasons are well defined and the change from one to another can happen in days.  Winter season is usually quite short lived. This year it did last longer than the year before from around December to mid April, when we stopped lighting the fire of an evening.

Hope this helps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf