Author Topic: plumbing - installing a water boost pump  (Read 2558 times)

Offline freebee

• Newly Registered
plumbing - installing a water boost pump
« on: April 12, 2016, 13:58:08 PM »
My second story bathroom has always suffered low hot water pressure. I am thinking of installing a boost pump. I can bring one out from the UK but what are the plumbing threads in use in Calis. the alternative is to buy one locally-has anybody done this?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: plumbing - installing a water boost pump
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 15:43:04 PM »
If you're using it for a shower you'll need to be careful with pressures (hot v cold).  You may be better of using a specific shower pump (boosts hot & cold).

Just use a couple of fittings (Speedfit etc) to turn any thread into 15/22mm push fit - will work with both copper and barrier pipe. 

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 16:03:38 PM »
If it is the hot causing the problems then consider changing out your solar 'double tank' for a modern 'single' tank version.  Worked great for us, right through the house, four showers all with perfect pressure.  Though be careful after the install  - whichever solution you use - as the increase in pressure will put some of your hot water plumbing joints or even pipes under strain, keep an eye on things for a couple of days.

Offline freebee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 13:43:34 PM »
I have one hot water immersion heater cyclinder on the first floor. as far as I can make out incoming cold water drives the water out of the cylinder throughout the apartment and upstairs. Upstairs the hot water is just a dribble and the higher you hold the shower head the lower the flow until the hot stops altogether....... its always been like this.

I am thinking of putting a pump drawing from the hot outlet from the cylinder which would boost all hot flows throughout the apartment I am quite prepared to turn the thermostat on the tank down to get a safe temp out of the hot taps and shower if the flow over powers the cold flow.

thats my thoughts anyway open to suggestions.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 17:34:01 PM »
I am quite prepared to turn the thermostat on the tank down to get a safe temp out of the hot taps and shower if the flow over powers the cold flow.

Adjusting water temp wont help equalise flow.  You'll get cold water entering the hot supply (and vice versa) at the mixer valve if one is significantly higher than the other - this means your thermostat will struggle to pass through an even temperature.

Mibbe better getting a (decent) plumber to look at how your place is actually plumbed as it sounds like something isn't working the way it should.  Simply increasing pressure to one side of the supply really isnt the answer, and as UBT mentions - doing that will put a strain on the existing fittings they've never had to deal with.  Having seen many Turkish plumbing installs, that's not something I'd want to do unless 100% necessary.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf