Author Topic: Clearing ID from work laptop  (Read 2542 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Clearing ID from work laptop
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
One for the computer buffs;
I need to return my works laptop to my previous employer but it has my passwords and personal details in Google Chrome etc.
I cant wipe the whole thing but need to delete personal stuff.
What is the best way.
Thanks
Paul

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Clearing ID from work laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
If you cant wipe it then you'll need to adopt a methodical approach regarding where you're personal data is stored.

Browsers: All browsers allow you to delete cookies, history logins etc - a quick google search will give you instructions on how to do it for each one thats installed.

Documents etc:  This article is quite old but still valid http://lifehacker.com/5625313/what-should-i-do-to-my-work-laptop-before-i-leave-my-job

Other programs: Uninstall anything you've installed, if they keep information then they'll usually give you an option to delete any folders files etc that  hold user data.

If you're confident about doing it, a quick way is to reinstall Windows from the recovery option - it may be worth speaking to your IT dept about that.

JF

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
Thanks John.
I think work will do a re install anyway as the laptop is only about 10 months old. I just want to cover the personal stuff.
I will give it a go.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 13:11:10 PM »
As a person who occasionally receives laptops back I would add that if you have used your work email address for private stuff and delete them, don't forget to empty the deleted items folder too  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf