Author Topic: medicine on flights  (Read 2442 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

medicine on flights
« on: June 21, 2017, 16:59:10 PM »
Hello
Does anyone know what you need to do to bring meds on flights. As you know my Adele has leukaemia and is hoping to be well enough to come and make some memories with her momma.Is it a docs letter or some sort of fit to fly letter or that her meds are her meds and not 'drugs' as such letter.
Thanks for the help B x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: medicine on flights
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 17:38:37 PM »
I have read on other forums that you need a Doctor's Letter which state she is fit to fly and need meds with her.  Also, Bernie, check your daughter can get travel insurance for her condition.  Good luck.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 18:12:37 PM »
over the last 10 years I have had to carry various medications with me while flying mostly tablets I put them in my hand luggage any liquids I put in the hold luggage but I always carry my prescriptions with me this is just in case the hold luggage goes missing and I can get the equivalent in a chemist also if I am questioned regarding the codien phosphate I some times have to take, in all the years I have never been asked

Offline TerryH

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 19:31:15 PM »
You  just need to take a copy of the doctor's presciption and make sure each packet of the medicines themselves have the phamacist's dispensing label still attached.
Most airlines (in fact pretty sure all of them really) will give you an extra 5 to 10 Kg of medical hand luggage free.
You just need to ring their customer sevices and ask them for medical allowance to be added.
Normally you don't get any paperwork but it is added for check-in desk to see on your ticket details (at both ends).
I have used this facility for over 10 years with no problem.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 19:40:47 PM »
That's really good to know, thank you all so much.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 19:57:46 PM »
I would still get your daughter to check with her Doctor, Bernie, no harm in doing that.  I do know someone who had to get a Fit To Fly Letter from her Doctor before she came over and this was last year, which is why I mentioned it.

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 20:48:41 PM »
Lot of good advice for you here Bernie, but I agree with Jacqui.  I would make sure she was ok to fly with her doctors first and, if necessary, get a Fit to Fly letter.   Fingers crossed she will be ok then you can start planning her trip and make some lovely memories. x

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 23:58:02 PM »
Yes, have spoken tonight. First she's renewing passport tommorow, then docs. Then talk to insurance then she will book her flight. Then sort out luggage allowance. Hoping she will take the wheelchair thing, she says not.

Thinking of you today Marina, our other kids have landed in New Zealand for the lions tour.

Offline marina

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
Oh, thank you Bernie! I'm sure they'll have a fabulous time.
Hope your daughter gets everything sorted and joins you out there soon,  xx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf