Author Topic: wheelchair users on flights.  (Read 6697 times)

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
Re: wheelchair users on flights.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 23:53:29 PM »
My mom may be one of the passengers viewed by some as abusing this system, let me explain, she is a COPD suffer and although can walk she can not walk long distances as she gets too breathless.
I always book wheelchair assistance in from the UK airport to Dalaman because we dont know how far we will be from the gate number, but because we know Dalaman arrival procedure and because its a small airport it is within her walking range so we do not require one on arrival.
On return to the UK we again book a wheelchair because we are usaly dumped on the runway miles from passport control....and she yes she can even manage a gentle swim in the pool.
Also please remember not all special assistance passengers have visual disabilties and may of been allowed to board the aircraft earlier for other reasons they may not be obvious to you.
Shame on those that are abusing the system, but more shame on those who show ignorance to unkown circumstances.

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 00:20:34 AM »
My mom may be one of the passengers viewed by some as abusing this system, let me explain, she is a COPD suffer and although can walk she can not walk long distances as she gets too breathless.
I always book wheelchair assistance in from the UK airport to Dalaman because we dont know how far we will be from the gate number, but because we know Dalaman arrival procedure and because its a small airport it is within her walking range so we do not require one on arrival.
On return to the UK we again book a wheelchair because we are usaly dumped on the runway miles from passport control....and she yes she can even manage a gentle swim in the pool.
Also please remember not all special assistance passengers have visual disabilties and may of been allowed to board the aircraft earlier for other reasons they may not be obvious to you.
Shame on those that are abusing the system, but more shame on those who show ignorance to unkown circumstances.

Totally agree with your comments MarKar

I was diagnosed with moderate to severe COPD in November last year. Thankfully after a number of changes to my prescription it is currently under some control.
I had requested assistance on last two visits to Turkey but was able to walk ( without aid) on the return leg of the last visit so the assistance was cancelled.

A very useful service and appreciated...but it must be difficult at times to know if the user is in genuine need or actually abusing the system.

Dave.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 00:30:28 AM »
Trust me guys, the people I was referring to had no problems in walking long distances or anything else of a physical nature.

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 00:52:22 AM »
Hi Faymoore dave,
agree we would really struggle without this service, but we have also been let down by it too, we have landed in the UK and no assistance turned up, the airstewards were left to go and fetch her a wheelchair for her.
There is normally 5 in our party including our 2 children so its usual to let us all stay together.
On another note dave my mom takes NAC 600 recommended in turkey for her COPD its like a vitamin it helps build up your immune system and breaks down muccus...she recommends it.

Keith, I'm sure like many things in life unfortunately there is always someone that will abuse the system. 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »
Why does someone in a wheelchair need five people to accompany them onto the plane before anyone else?  Surely, one person would be enough, as the wheelchair is pushed by a member of airport staff.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 13:29:01 PM »
I remember a post from years ago about the disabled man on a flight to Dalaman who left the airport in a wheelchair.He was next spotted at a concert in Calis dancing on stage to Elvis's  'Hunk a hunk of
Burning love ' ;D

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 16:11:13 PM »
Because Jacqui we travel as a family of 5 including 2 children and 1 disabled OAP who is entitled to have someone with her (usually me) that leaves my husband to manage the rest of the families hand luggage and the children!.
I applaud the airline for anything they can do to make our already stressful journey run as smoothly as possible and not all airports have enough OCS staff to assist with wheelchair users....just be thankful that your not in the position to need this service, I wish we weren't.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 17:20:23 PM »
i will be in this situation when i come out i have a ankle injury were i cannot walk too far on, i am ok going into dalaman from manchester but coming back where they drop you off is one long walk and my ankle will not carry me this far

Offline marina

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 17:43:12 PM »
You have my sympathy puma. It can be a hell of a long walk when you get into Manchester sometimes. I know I used to struggle with that walk before I had my knee replacement last year. Should really have had some assistance then.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 17:57:11 PM »
Despite Barrie's walking problems (stroke) he has limited vision and wears two hearing aids. From about 5 years into his disability he started refusing to use a wheelchair due to the comments he used to get at the airport. (he was then quite young) and healthy looking. The stress for me watching him at the airport was awful and the walk to the terminals was a nightmare for him.   I should add that his balance is very bad.. Last year arriving at Manchester airport.. we struggled a long way to passport control...and I lost sight of him due to the crush of people.. I overheard a man saying "that knob head disabled bloke got in my way"... His mate said "but you pushed him into the wall over there trying to get past.. Barrie was on the floor.. I was 2 lines away fro this man otherwise I would have given him a "right mouthful"   I was furious. Barrie was just so embarrased Since then Barrie has lost his confidence at the airport and we now always use a wheelchair... He hates it... but he can be seen swimming in the pool and walking to the bars in Calis. (holding me).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf