Author Topic: But Daaaad, you said you weren't going to buy another "project"!  (Read 41874 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: But Daaaad, you said you weren't going to buy another "project"!
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 18:02:22 PM »
Reminds me of Living in Fethiye.. It was always someone from out if the area when the break ins started.. You seem pretty laid back about the whole experience on the whole??
Enjoying all the updates.  How lucky are you to get the worst weather in years.. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.. It so they say.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 18:41:38 PM »
Ach, what's the point in getting too wound up about it.  Here it's los gitanos (the gypsies) who usually get the blame - truth be told he may have simply meant a gang from another area of Jerez, by that time I'd been speaking mostly in Spanish for nearly an hour and a half and had several beers which can both help and hinder my Spanish!

JF

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 19:24:35 PM »
It happens everywhere.  Rotten luck John, but on a brighter note those bathrooms are looking good,
Roll on next week eh?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 19:51:56 PM »
To be honest Anne, the pics, actually all of them, don't do the standard of workmanship justice.  The guys are a cracking bunch, even though their accents are soooo Jerezano I can hardly understand several of them, and they really take a pride in their work.

One example from the other day - we've got railings going round all the upstairs terraces. After getting rid of the old brick built pillars there were gaps of 10"-12" between the railings and the new steel pillars.  One of the guys, who I thought was a tiler, welded everything up in an hour or two.  I know where extra material was welded in, but I'm buggered if I can see the joins.  Multi skilled workforce...  :) 

JF

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2018, 18:56:08 PM »
In.

:)

JF

Offline sadler

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2018, 19:18:22 PM »
Yippee! When’s the party? ;D

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2018, 20:01:52 PM »
Brilliant John.  Glad to hear your sorted at last.
When's the hoose warming?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2018, 16:22:24 PM »
Thank you ladies.  It'll be a bit before we're ready for entertaining methinks.

Our furniture and boxes arrived from the U.K. on Monday and with the help of the builders everything was moved in an hour or so.  Biggest issue is that our street is too narrow to have the van outside the house so we bagged the closest parking space, about 40m away, on the Saturday and just left out car there until the movers van arrived.

We'd decided to "move in" on the Wednesday but an issue with the front door to our apartment upstairs (couldn't get in!) meant we put it off to Thursday.  All quite funny now, but reminiscent of the issue with the keys on the day we bought the house, without any alcohol being involved.  More on that later  :)

Now, if someone tries to kick this door in then they'll end up at Urgencias...

Thirty days to make, hardwood with a full multi point locking system and approximately three inches thick.  We're very pleased with our carpenters work.

There's a lot of finishing work still to be done externally upstairs, but we've hardly had a dry day for weeks.  Constant wind and rain which locals have said they've never seen before - costing bars and restaurants a lot of money as they're simply not geared up for this type of weather over a protracted period of time.  We've got painting and rendering needing done but the guys simply can't do it in this weather.

Just bought a bag of logs so will give our open fire a go tonight as its cold, wet and windy down here, not the night to go wandering further than the fridge for more ice and tonic  :)

JF

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2018, 17:50:49 PM »
Congratulations on moving to your new home! I hope  that your chimneys work well and your fires are warm.  :)

Offline sadler

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2018, 18:07:46 PM »
Love the doors. Just need a draw bridge and mote to finish the look.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf