Author Topic: Calis Reflections 2019  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Reflections 2019
« on: October 19, 2019, 22:05:24 PM »
In the Highlander style (although not in order to spell Calis Beach in the initial letter of each one perhaps :D ):

Transfers: Appalling - we booked Hoppa because it was just the two of us and the wait (with a new local transfer company after years of successful service with the earlier one) on our booking said up to 45 minutes - so approaching 45 mins we asked how much longer? Answer..."one more hour"!!! - cue a quick hop up to the taxi rank and off. £27 and in the hotel before we would have been scheduled to leave Dalaman Airport. Hoppa is abysmal this year - they should never have changed the previous local contract - we all expect to wait a bit on a shared transfer but there are some horror stories this year of people being picked up at 2pm for 10 pm flights home - it's all about what suits the transfer company not what suits the customer.

Transfers (2): Having no faith in Hoppa on the way in, I contacted Mutlu at Pegasus who did us a transfer (at a time to suit US!!) for £20 - prompt, courteous & safe - great service.

Transfers (3): Our twins Robyn & Abbie arrived a few days after us, their first ever flight without us. Naturally they were pretty nervous. The Hoppa driver greeted them with "welcome to Turkey, a cold water for you" - which was lovely, until at the hotel he demanded 10 lira from them for the water. Sadly for him, he hadn't realised their dad was standing outside the hotel waiting for his girls and let's just say he soon departed.

Jiva Beach Resort: Still as lovely and well kept as ever. Everyday staff - waiters, barmen, cleaners all friendly and welcoming - generally impressively professional. Food great, but each time not as great as the last. Ratio of screaming babies/kids to adults looking for quiet relaxation approaching unbearable. Never ending cycle in all directions - child wants food/attention, parents lost in their mobile phone screen, child knows a well pitched mind shaking scream will get attention and a chip stuck in it's gob - works for about 3 minutes then repeat. There used to be a returning guest present scheme which was nice (but not critical) - first return fruit and wine, second return better - up to free boat trip - all gone now. Prices up (significantly), little things that make you think how lovely - seem to be slowly disappearing.

Remer Hotel: The twins were staying here - we used to walk round to meet them. Like walking into a tranquil paradise after Jiva, not a sound from anyone, just peace - and such a lovely friendly group of staff including the amazing Nevra. Solid 3 star not pretending to be any more. Busy, especially considering it was October - good bar scene with what seemed to be mainly older clients returning year after year. Good to see.

Restaurants: Once again the year in year out consistent ones proved to be...well...consistent. Great meal in Bella Mammas as usual, stunning fayre in Motif. Lovely night with Cenk & Olga at Babzen.  Nice lunches/snacks in Mangal, Cafe Soul and a new one for us - Gustorante on the market/law court road. Very good food and presentation. Service (lunchtime) fairly inattentive/slow though. Struggled to get waiter attention.

Girls' birthday dinner is always at their favourite - Mancero and once again they didn't let us down - service, food, value all great.

Service: As per above, service we felt had dropped in standard generally. I couldn't believe how many times we were in almost empty places looking for another round and looking at 3-5 staff all looking downwards on their phones.

Bars: First trip to our old haunt the Meri Bar since 2013. Much bigger these days but still the secret of it's own success. Hassan is a long term favourite of ours, good service and good measures/prices. No surprise it was busy.

Address Bar in Fethiye a firm favourite very much on its game - lovely place to meet and relax.

Prices: Many people said how expensive it had become but we couldn't agree really. The quick stops for a drink/coffee did seem to be more but the meals for example were coming in at a scary 500 lira on average - but when you work it out we are eating great food looking out to sea or a classy marina for (at that time) 60something pounds for 4 of us including drinks.

A boat trip at 100TL each including a magnificent lunch and lovely day (around £14pp)

Weather: One really bad morning and 9 days of great weather for October.

Taxis - still great value compared with the old days. £2 from Jiva to the bridge, £7 from Fethiye centre to Jiva.

We might come back here sometime.  ;)

Offline Christie

Re: Calis Reflections 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
Great review.  Glad you enjoyed your holiday.  We were also over there September into October (we were in bella mama when you were both going by and spoke to Sue).  We were amazed at how fantastic  the weather was considering it was October, hot in the day and still warm at night.  We stayed at the Delta again, fantastic as always.  As Obens won the CB forum best restaurant last year we give it a try the first week we were there and loved it, consequently went four more times !  We also met Jaqui and her Husband along with Lottie there one night, it was lovely to chat to them.
Enjoyed  evening drinks and some lunches in the Bamboo, Ferat always so helpful and efficient always looked after us well. We also found going over to Fethiye on the boat much more relaxing and didn't arrive in Fethiye frazzled before we started.  We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and if the cost of the flights go down !! We will be back again next year.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 21:22:52 PM »
Did you use taxis to Mancero, Yengec etc in Fethiye and was the fare 50 - 55 tl one way.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 23:34:56 PM »
Yes - it is around 45 to/from Mancero and around 65 to Yengec as it is considerably further. Prices from Jiva so assume a little less from centre of Calis.

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 06:43:37 AM »
We got a taxi last week to Hilmi restaurant, next to Mancero, from the rank by the roundabout. It was about 25Tl. They rang for one back for us which was slightly more, maybe 27/28Tl.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
Yes you are right, 45-50 to the centre.

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 13:15:06 PM »
Following on from Scunner's reflections here are some of mine:

My party of 3 people (my daughter and son-in-law and myself) booked a week at Jiva Beach followed by the second week at the hotel Mutlu in Calis Beach.

We booked a corner suite at Jiva All Inclusive with 2 bedrooms, overlooking the beach.  A lovely apartment, comfortable and spacious, cleaned every day and plenty of bed linen and towels.  The staff throughout the complex were always so friendly and helpful.

The range of food at all meals in the main restaurant was impressive and we we were able to sample some foods which we hadn't seen or tasted before.  The whole resort was great and its 5 star rating is well deserved.

To Scunner................so sorry have missed you Keith - I was aware that you had booked Jiva and would be there during our first week but despite looking hard for you in the restaurant and bars I missed you.  A pity but we live in hope!

The only disappointment for me came at check out when I enquired about a reservation for next year in October.  We had paid around £1200 between us for this year but the quote for next year was £1634 for the same holiday, an increase of 36%.  I considered that to be excessive so I didn't go ahead with the booking.

The second week was spent in the hotel Mutlu and we had booked 2 rooms with side sea view.  At check in I managed to upgrade the adjoining rooms to a front facing full sea view location.  The panoramic view took in Fethiye and swept around the sea and mountain scenery towards the Gocek area...superb.  To sit on the small balcony with that view early in the morning and again to watch the sunset was very impressive.

Breakfast was continental buffet style with the addition of eggs cooked to order in many different ways.  All staff were very friendly and helpful.  The pool and garden area was so peaceful and relaxing.  All in all a lovely pace to spend a break and one which I would recommend.

During our week at the Mutlu we went to the Oykun hotel on several occasions to catch up with some friends we had made over the past few years and who were part of the staff.....the Oykun family, Goldie and Denise among them.  It was just like slipping into a good pair of comfortable slippers!  The whole place is so relaxed and friendly.....so much so that we booked for 2 weeks in October next year. So happy that we did.  All I have to do now is wait and see if the currently expensive flights from Manchester to Dalaman come down from the dizzy heights of up to £500 per person.  Watch this space!

Incidentally, we used Fethiye Airport Transfers for our airport transfers after looking at various recommendations on CBF.  I can highly recommend them.

If you get the opportunity try to eat at Nicola's new restaurant, the Motif, on the front..absolutely fabulous (and I eventually got to meet Nicola....she's lovely!)

That's all folks!   ;D

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 13:58:49 PM »
Love reading all these reviews. Keep them coming.  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 19:27:19 PM »
Hi Dennis, I did keep an eye out for someone resembling you too. Much of the reason you didn’t see us is we are so rarely there.

We have finally decided that we don’t get enough value for money there (our fault) and decent flight prices allowing, we will be somewhere else next year. After some debate, we have decided on the Mutlu which we enjoyed a few years back.

Funnily enough we didn’t like the face on end rooms so much, fabulous panoramic view but the balconies are just so open and close together.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday and thanks for your review.

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 14:15:08 PM »
Hi Keith

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sure you will enjoy your stay at the Mutlu.

Dennis    :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf