Author Topic: Will Calis survive coronavirus ?  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Will Calis survive coronavirus ?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 20:16:28 PM »
I always understood that lots/some (?) bars and restaurant had to make enough money during the tourist season to see them through the winter because it wasn't possible to make money during the winter.

Happy to be corrected.

If there are no international tourists (excepting Turkish) for months of the season then that could be catastrophic.

Offline lissa

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 20:24:12 PM »
The authorities here asked Turkish nationals and other residents of Turkey who were returning to self isolate for 14 days. In this group of 5, I believe some, though perhaps not all, are resident. As they were in a bar shortly after returning, remarks were passed about not self isolating. However as it has just been announced that bars and nightclubs will be closed from 10am tomorrow, 16th March, this might not cause problems now......

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 21:02:36 PM »
Well neither expats nor tourists will be able to help bars and restaurants in Calis.

Let's hope for the local people who work in tourism that it's temporary.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 21:04:28 PM »
I always understood that lots/some (?) bars and restaurant had to make enough money during the tourist season to see them through the winter because it wasn't possible to make money during the winter.

Happy to be corrected.

If there are no international tourists (excepting Turkish) for months of the season then that could be catastrophic.

Can't correct you John.

There are a good number of bars etc that make enough through the out of season 6 months and surely just making enough to stay open year round. I doubt any of them make an impressive profit Nov to Apr.

The majority open, and expect/hope to make enough to survive, May to October. Expats alone simply can't make that happen for them with no tourists to bolster turnover, as well the expats supporting the year round ones. It is simply impossible.

Offline charlste

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 21:33:50 PM »
Bars/restaurants open today so long as there is a 1.5 metre distance between customers.
Only in turkey lol

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 22:24:53 PM »
Will bars/restaurants be installing VAR type systems to verify distance before taking orders. :-\

I cannot think of any restaurants in Calis or indeed the UK that has seating that maintains the 1.5 m (approximately 5 ft in old money) rule when sitting opposite each other.

Would also mean that you could not take a standard table for 4.

As charlste said - only in Turkey.    :)

Offline philrose

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 06:20:40 AM »
All have been shut down by the police...

Offline Christie

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
Chariste/Highlander,  it is being done and has  been for the ast 6 days, all sunbeds (before the police arrived and closed the pool area off) had to be in two's and two metres apart.   Our dining room  has an empty table between others and again 2 metres apart and in two's,  the lounge bar has been set up so all the tables and chairs are in two's and two metres apart, so conversations are doable with a  bit of shuffling round !  This is in Fuengirola,  Spain.   We are hopefully on a rescue flight with easyjet going home tomorrow as we all have to leave by Sunday,  after which our lovely hotel will close also apparently Malaga airport. Sad times.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:31 AM »
If the expats on FB have anything to do with it it will.  They think everyone and their Granny has no right to visit.
I was reading a thread earlier today, started by someone I thought would know better, about people visiting Uzumlu and daring to go out for the evening.
With attitudes like that I fear Calis and other resorts are in for a rocky time
Couldn’t agree more Anne re some of the expats on FB honestly I just can’t believe some of the comments I was reading..

Re Calis surviving CV let’s not forget that the season does not officially start until beginning of May so there is plenty of time for things to hopefully calm down and get more under control. I read an article earlier that China is slowly returning to normal let’s hope this will soon be the case for other countries too including UK & Turkey 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf