Author Topic: Ehh?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Ehh?
« on: April 28, 2020, 19:07:15 PM »
Told you I had cancelled my package deal with jet2 for September. I'll go on any flight and pay direct as usual,when I am able to escape!!
My friend goes to Bodrum every year same hotel. She books it as a package with jet2. She was/is also due to go September. However she tells me today on receipt of a promotional email from jet2, she has booked for 2021!
Am I just a pessimist?? She seems to think that as these holidays are all abta that if the worse should happen then she will be refunded in full.Will this apply if jet2 goes under?
Any thoughts?

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 21:01:51 PM »
If its a package (flight and hotel) then you are ABTA covered.  If just a fight then not.  Same with Easyjet.  Someone told me that if you book a car hire with your Easyjet flight then you are also covered but that may not be true.

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Ehh?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
Thanks, so if jet2 went under would that still be covered?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Not by ABTA. Your credit card company would be the place to go for a refund.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 13:06:02 PM »
Disappointed holidaymakers, trying to get their money back for trips disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, are having their refund applications blocked by banks and credit card operators.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/106845/why-are-banks-blocking-lost-holiday-repayments

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 14:08:56 PM »
If you paid by debit card n not credit card would that still apply scunner?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 14:21:40 PM »
If you paid by debit card n not credit card would that still apply ?

It should do, but you need to check the T&C's on your particular card.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 15:09:52 PM »
With a credit card you can pretty much guarantee getting your money back if over £100 as your credit card company has a liability by law.  Its less guaranteed but still possible with a debit card.  Flights and hotels booked by debit card may be able to claim a refund by their banks using the Chargeback scheme (used to reclaim cash for goods and services you didn't receive). Claims apply for purchases made by debit card, or by credit card for purchases under £100, and must be done within 120 days of the transaction.  You should contact your card provider to start this process but as it isn’t written into law there is no guarantee you’ll get your money back.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 18:40:28 PM »
Martin Lewis is saying in his newsletter
"The travel industry is under an existential threat, and many firms risk going bust.

"If it's a package holiday, check if you've ATOL or ABTA protection so you would get a full refund if the operator collapsed. If not, you'd be reliant on   chargeback   or   Section 75   protection from your card provider. That should help, but nothing is 100% certain."
I'm totally confused by it all.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 21:57:31 PM »
If you have booked a package holiday and the company is ATOL or ABTA protected then even if the company goes bust you are protected.

This website should explain all clearly and simply: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance/holiday-company-bust

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf