Author Topic: We Went to Turkey...3 Years Since the Last Time!  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
We Went to Turkey...3 Years Since the Last Time!
« on: July 01, 2022, 15:35:28 PM »
I will also do my bit to post and support the revival of this old lady forum. The biggest thing that stops people posting on forums is coming to one, seeing nobody is posting so they don't. So the way to get activity is...activity!!

We had several planned trips to Turkey cancelled or delayed in 2019, 2020 and for non-Covid reasons in 2021 - sometimes the timing was quite cruel but people were losing loved ones so you look on the bright side.

In that time we had a staycation to Bournemouth and the Isle of Wight, another to The Lake District & Southport. We have friends in both areas and wouldn't normally consider a holiday to either - we would see that as a waste of valuable holiday entitlement that could have been used abroad. Although it wasn't overseas (well the Isle of Wight is, as Uncle Albert said in Only Fools & Horses.. "you try walking it pal" :D )  - we had such a great time.

We finally got away abroad in August 2020 to Croatia (near Split) which we had visited briefly on  a cruise years ago and really loved. In August 2020 Turkey was in the Red for travel and Croatia went green. It was still tough, we needed to take a Covid test 24 hours before travel, 24 hours before return to the UK and another within 48 hours of getting home - 3 tests each for a week's holiday. But we got away and it was the best feeling in the World sitting in a beach bar drinking an ice cold unpronounceable beer waiting for our hotel room to be ready.

Since then we have managed holidays to Gran Canaria (where I met Mrs Scunner originally but I don't bear the island any grudge) for the twins' 21st birthday, and a Christmas Market river cruise to Germany & France with a few faces from CBF itself.

Then FINALLY...Turkey! Arrived on the 18th June, crazy hot. One "economy" night at the Harman in Calis (it was disappointing but clean and we arrived late and left straight after breakfast). We met two minibuses worth of friends and headed off to Kalkan (via Patara Beach for refreshments). Our friends were celebrating their 30th Wedding Anniversary and had invited everyone to join them at a huge villa overlooking the bay for a few days. We had the best time - Turkish breakfasts in places you'd never find unless you knew them, boat trip, fabulous catering at the villa, a drink or several, Saklikent on the way back to Fethiye.

From there we finally got checked in at Casa Margot in Fethiye for the last 3 days of our week. Finally because I've booked it 3 times now and they all never happened. Anyway, it is sensational - location, view, quality, staff, decor, pool, room - everything was first class. Mrs Scunner had tears in her eyes when we got to the room and a few more when we saw the view. And she's a hard hearted woman from Belfast     ;)

Visits to Pasa Kebap (so consistently good) then next night Receps in the Fish Market with our friends Cenk & Olga, then for our last night one of our great favourites, Yengec in the little marina round past the Yacht Boheme etc. Prices are still good for tourists (not for locals I know) - Yengec was 2 main courses, a really nice bottle of Sauvignon blanc, a beer and a couple of shorts for equivalent of £57. I reckon that's great value in a lovely setting.

Had the chance to thank our friends for their hospitality by arranging for us to be picked up by boat and take them over to Ada Restaurant on Sovalye Island for a long, lazy/boozy lunch. It's heaven - food, staff, setting, tranquility, everything.

We were getting picked up in Calis so took the opportunity to travel as everyone should - on the beloved water taxi. 40 lira now (I remember it being 2TL) but for us foreigners that's around £2 (each way) and just has to be done.

Spent some time in Calis - after walking around Croatia etc not knowing a soul it's very strange bumping into old friends every 2 minutes. And very special. We are back in September to do a lot more in Fethiye & Calis. And a few days at Casa Margot of course.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: We Went to Turkey...3 Years Since the Last Time!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 18:43:03 PM »
Glad you both had a good time Keith.

"Mrs Scunner had tears in her eyes when we got to the room" was this because there was no wine in the fridge. ;-)

Offline Ally B

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 19:13:36 PM »
Great to hear from you Keith. Now if we could get some response from H and some others we can be great again.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 19:16:03 PM »

Welcome to the Forum,  you'll find it's a friendly place with lots of helpful members.    ;)  ;)

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 20:16:39 PM »
Great to see you back Keith and to read about your hibernation period. The boss is back.....long live the boss  ;D
The Casa Margot in Fethiye sounds good so I'll look it up on Google.  Best wishes to you and the family   :)

Offline TOSH TOSH

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 20:22:01 PM »
We heard you was back in town   :) so pleased you managed to get back here and have a nice  time  8) xx

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 19:05:22 PM »
Happy to provide a review Ally B. However it will be even more boring than normal due to the fact that we did very little because of mobility problems.

Flight Out:

Flew from Edinburgh for the first time and turned out to be a breeze.
Requested shuttle bus from hotel to airport at 12:35; Arrived at airport 12:45; Joined check in queue ar 12:50; Exited security control 01:20; Boarded exactly on time; 20 minute air traffic control delay.

Transfer:

The usual smooth transfer by Fethiye Airport Transfers (which was replicated coming home).
Quite fortune when  we got the apartment that we had torches on our phones so we could see the combination for the key holder.

Restaurants:

We didn’t venture far and only ate at Babzen x 3, Brothers x 3, Bella Mammas x 1 (totally spoiled by the horrendous noise fro Motto next door) Sundown x 2, Oben x 1, Meeting Point x 1 Gunisigi x 1.

Both Babzen and Brothers well ahead of the others. No fuss just delicious food backed uop with very good service.

Money:
Direct comparison obviously tenuous at best but I reckon we spent less that our last visit in 2019.

Highlights:

As always, the people including Sukru (sugar boat) Nerva at the Remer, Keith Broderick.

A great afternoon/evening with our friend from Dingwall Martha McGinn and her partner Andy Somers (a sair heid day).

The briefest of conversations with Omer Sel (cowboy).

Meeting Adem’s wife and two of his boys.

Meeting CBF member IanK (a great supporter of the 3Cs); blueclad and his good lady; after all these years Julie Veale and Gary; Jacqui Harvey and her husband Phil; Trevor Smith and another member in the Meri Bar whose name I don’t know.

A long chat reminiscing with Maurice Askin and his partner.

Downside:

Main Street being used like a race track at times. Taxis refusing to put meters on (on every occasion); finding errors in bills (may have been genuine errors).

But saddest of all seeing, Zumrut Jewellers closed.

Flight home:

Start off well with the usual smooth transfer by Fethiye Airport Transfers.
Through first security check and passport control fairly quickly but things went rapidly downhill from there.
Went to gate 35 as instructed and shortly afterwards the stuff for the third baggage check. We were one of the first of four to be checked when an announcement changed our gate to number 36.
So we all trooped along to that gate where they were setting up the security stuff. We were there for another announcement changed our gate to 203.which was miles away down some stairs. During our wait there the present Mrs S was denied access to the toilet.
Strangely the flight was boarded roughly on time and the cabin doors were closed
Captain then announces that we we're ready to go but guess what there, there was an air traffic control problem and slots were being reallocated. So eventually we left about one hour plus late.
When we landed at Edinburgh 75 minutes late baggage retrieval was appalling and as a result we went through arrivals it was 4 o'clock and not only was there any sign of our pre-ordered taxi driver there were no other taxis available.

Eventually arrived at our hotel at 4:40 knackered..

PS All of this added to me spending nearly the whole of the four and a half flight in half of seat D due to the size of my fellow flier in seat E (and no he didn't have the same problem

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 19:21:35 PM »
Thanks for your warm replies. TOSH TOSH I think the last time we were in Calis I got scolded for talking too loudly on the dolmus…to you :D - so it’s been a while  :)

Offline suzyq

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 23:04:06 PM »
Thank you all for your reviews, enjoyed reading them.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
Good to hear from you  H , Pity about the return journey, must have been horrible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf