Author Topic: Is this the start of the cull ?  (Read 5488 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is this the start of the cull ?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:16 AM »
I do hope that the people rightly throwing their hands up in horror at these changes in education in Turkey, are also as concerned about education in UK too. 

Well, actually no.  I'm not.

Reason...  I'm Scottish and many of the issues you've highlighted don't apply to Scotland.  In fact, I think the Scots have got it right, not only in primary and secondary education but also in FE & HE.  It must be the only country in the world where a muslim (or hindu or Zoroastrian or whatever) is asked, are you a "caflik or a prodestunt?".  Or alternatively, "whit team you support?".

So, we only have two significant religions.  Makes life dead easy    :)

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
John you are correct I should have said the English schools.  You may or may not be aware though but we (the english) got many of these educational changes because of you Jocks.  As St Tone of Blair whipped the too willing Scottish MPs through to vote for the changes in English education, that were opposed by a number of English Labour MPs.  Those Scottish MPs would never have voted for those changes to be applied in Scotland, but were happy to see them foisted on the English.  West Lothian question writ very large to drive home Blair's warped idea of what is choice in education.

And finally Esther... Just to demonstrate that Scotland is not completely immune from religious schools, there are still a large number of Catholic schools, particularly in the large cities. And I am sure it will not be long, if it is not happening already, before some of the more recent arrivals religions start asking, why not us too?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 13:41:23 PM »
I think you'll find Mr Blair is not considered very Scottish, by most Scots.

As regards to other religions saying "me too, me too", curiously in many areas the Catholic schools are first choice for a variety of other religions due to their academic success.  The Catholic schools in Scotland are not exclusive, its not uncommon to find a variety of religions on their roll.

I think there has been a far higher level of assimilation with immigrants from Asia in Scotland, I have several Asian friends in the Glasgow area and they consider themselves Scottish first and Bangladeshi/Pakistani second - which is completely polar to previous, older generations. 

No figures or statistics for all of the above, its just what I've observed over the years. 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf