Author Topic: Is it time to sell up?  (Read 15666 times)

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
Re: Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
Very confusing if "Mohammod" is the most popular Christian name. It is political correctness interfaith dialogue gone mad!
Neither Mohammed or Muhammed are in the top ten. You been reading the Daily Hate Mail Sleuth     ;)

http://www.ukbabynames.com/boys/top

Actually, Muhammad (and its various associated spelling) is the second most common forename in England and Wales.  The reason it isn't listed as that is because the Office of National Statistics lists names by exact spelling.  Given that Muhammed and Mohammed are essentially the same name, albeit spelled slightly differently, it would be pedantic to suggest it is not the second most popular forename (whoops... nearly said christian name!) for boys in England and Wales. 

Interestly, the statistics for Scotland show that neither make the top twenty.

Top 50 boys' baby names England & Wales 2013

The most popular first forenames in Scotland, 2013

JF

And this relates to 'Time To Sell Up' ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
Tangentially, yes.

JF

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
I was thinking about that suggested name popularity yesterday as it looked at first sight to be a significant result.

However, having thought about it I guess you need to put it into context. That is to say that, I am guessing, in the Muslim community Mohammed is a popular name due to its religious relationship and the importance of the religion to most Muslims.

Outside of this there is no similar name that would push the same kind of results, for White British People it could be John, Chantelle, Chardonnay, Fred, Emma etc etc and not Jesus, God(!), Mary etc. There is not a religious influence that pushes a single name above the rest and the desire to have a name influenced by religion does not, in my opinion, exist in the white communities.

So for that reason it suggest at first sight that it is the sheer numbers of Muslims (typical DM scare tactic) that drive the results whereas I suspect it is more linked to the preference for names in that community.

Just a thought

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
Now im back from russia my next job is selling up it just aint the same anymore .   :)
Good to see someone else thinks the same Lance, obviously not good to see you leave, but perhaps now people will get back on topic instead of talking about bloody names that have nothing to do with people that have lived here for years and now want to leave.  ;)  :)

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
 it is the sheer numbers of Muslims        and that is the problem... Its not `Daily Mail  scare tactics` they are just   drawing our attention to the problem. The whole western hemisphere is under threat... sharia law is their objective.... that problem and the ever increasing immigration from Eastern Europe and Africa  and illegal immigration is the biggest talking point and worry at this very moment  with the majority of the  British public....   the rest of the country`s problems pales into insignificance  :(

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
If Reg gets his way and has interest rates dropped to the low level he wants it to be at then that will see more people leaving.. Especially when his way will also put the TL up to way past its 3.60 and therefore inflation? Or have I got that wrong?  I know a few people who had to leave when interest rates dropped by half from when they came to live here.. They had been relying on that income to live... I feel sorry for people who are trying to sell their properties at the moment and selling at sometimes huge losses... Turkish seem to be the main buyers and they are no renowned for parting with their cash

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »
Tangentially, yes.

JF
Rubbish John, nothing to do with it at all. ???

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
So all this about Muslims in the Daily Mail is a reason for people to sell up and leave Turkey?   

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
The theme of change in the UK was introduced by a member warning that if you wanted to sell up in Turkey, and go to UK, you would find the UK undergoing more Islamification than that proposed by RTE. Suggesting you would be better staying in Turkey. So it could be seen as directly related to the topic. Well, if it was true it would be, but since it is utter tosh you may be right in considering it irrelevant.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 13:09:05 PM »
It must be true its in The Daily Mail.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf