Author Topic: Draw out now or wait?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Draw out now or wait?
« on: September 26, 2006, 20:42:51 PM »
We are in two minds on whether to draw out our holiday money now in £ and change as when we need it over there or draw out from Turkish cash point in Lira. If the latter is the best option then which bankasi? I know that it would depend on interest rates too. Oh by the way just for the record we are with Barclays and as far as I know they don't charge for withdrawing from a foreign cashpoint.

Hope you can help chaps.

Steve B :)

Offline wickwilly

Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 20:52:05 PM »
Hi Steve B. Two ways of looking at this. Barclays may not charge for using a cash point abroad but I am sure thay will give you a lower rate (as do most banks except Nationwide))when drawing out the money. So in this respect I would bring cash with me and change it when you need it. The down side is the worry of carrying lots of cash about with you.

WW

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 22:10:46 PM »
Open a nationwide account now and use your card to draw out money as you need it.  Nationwide give a very competitive rate and don't charge for using your card abroad.  wouldn't use anything else myself.

Janet

Offline amca

Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 23:32:03 PM »
nationwide flex account and fed from e account has been my favoured way of money management when abroad

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:55:17 AM »
Bring out your wad in sterling and give it to Auntie Jen and Uncle Al to look after. You'll never have to worry about it again. !

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 13:59:52 PM »
That's what I do Janet.gur (what's the gur for.  Is it Grrrrrr!  or is it the friendly grrr?)use Nationwide.  I opened an accout specifically to take my holiday money abroad.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 14:47:26 PM »
Trouble is, Steve's coming out here Friday and even the Nationwide couldn't sort THAT out in 3 days.

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 17:31:41 PM »
Last week whilst in Fethiye, I withdrew cash from the HSBC cashpoint and I got a better exchange rate than the local banks were offering at the time. I bank with First Direct and they also don't charge any commission for withdrawing abroad

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 18:11:05 PM »
Elsa - Gür is my surname as my husband is Turkish - originally signed on with my full name not realising you could have pseudonyms - anyone know how to change it?

Janet

Offline Eric

Draw out now or wait?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 19:43:33 PM »
Hi, We use the Nationwide as already described above.  Just returned from Olu and checked our account where we got an exchange rate of 2.7 with no charges.  Not bad

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf