Author Topic: Anyone moving to Turkey this year?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline starman

Anyone moving to Turkey this year?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
Just a word of advice, when choosing a compant make sure you ask who will be the delivering agent in Turkey. Brittania maybe a mid size company but it wont be them handling the shipping once it leaves a British port. Once in Turkey you need a company competent enough to handle to clearance and delivery. Be wary as there are some real cowboys out there.

Offline Dean 123

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 13:25:38 PM »
Thanks. How are finding the change from England. Any Regrets Cheers

Offline Emvs2002

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »
Well i've decided that im not going to take as much stuff as i wanted and im giving most of it to my mum to look after as flights are so cheap in the summer im intending on coming back over and collecting it all myself.

As i have no large objects like furniture i am able to do this without the hassel or havinf to travel to Izmit to collect it all.

Dean different people have different views on living in turkey, in the 2 years ive been there i have spoken to many different people, some who love it and never looked back and some who wished they never came for various different reasons.

In my opinion i would advise having a long hoilday here say a couple of months, maybe the last month of summer and most of winter as winter there is very different, some people like myself, much prefer the winter but only because i get to spend 6 months with my boyfriend. His a tour guide so works at least 12 to 14 hours in the summer.

As for the change its a good thing and also a bad thing in my opinion i would advise trying to learn some turkish as most english speaking turks go back to their family in the winter but there is alot of them that will try and do speak english, i learnt it out of respect really aswell as the culture. We expect the same if someone comes to our country. Festive hoildays aswell is a good thing to know, one of my good friends who is turkish gets annoyed when brits come over and dont respect bayram as most of us know they dont eat, smoke, drink or have sex (am i allowed to say that) so when woman and girls come into fethiye in skimpy bikini's most men eyes do wonder....... mine aswell and im female

Life is very different and for me ive had my ups and downs, but i think you do no matter where you live weather it be in a different town in england or a complete different country. Just make the best of what you've got and enjoy. Turkey is a beautiful country with fanastic, loyal people. I am one who hasnt regretted moving there with my 4 year daughter.

Offline Dean 123

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »
Thanks. I really appreciate your frank and honest opinion. Ive owned a home in Fetheyi for a bout 5 years and maybe holidayed there 4-5 times but never more than a few weeks. I enjoy the weather and love my apartment, views pool etc. I have this desire to change , maybe thats got something to do woith being mid 40's lol and my children all but one age 13 all grown up. I think I'll probably do what you suggest and maybe stay over for 3 months at some point. I think thats the longest you can get a normal visa for.I dont want to sound like a whinging pom as the ozzies would say but hey England is getting is increasingly harder to live and I cant help thinking what will happen when I cant work like I do now in the future and then I smile knowing I own my own place. I know what you mean about the girls and short skirts etc. Very nice to look at but as you rightly say if youre a giuest in their country then you should abide by their traditions etc. Where abouts do you guys live?

Offline Emvs2002

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 20:24:11 PM »
I live in Fethiye and have done now for about 2 years but i have been back in england for about 5 months now and really cant wait to get back home. Your right about england i've hated living here for years and 2 years ago i thought enough was enough and me and my daughter moved out there then at the age of 2 and have never looked back since. Beening back in england these past few months have made me appreciate what i have out there and even tho we hardly have enough money i am very very happy.

I hope whatever you choose to do you will be very happy

Offline Dean 123

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
What a coincidence. My apartment is actualy in Tasakaya. It was built around 5 years ago. It was the first western style block and I think the first to have a swimming pool (round). Its near the university. Amazing we had it built for about the price of a decent family saloon car. That kinda puts it all back into perspective. I think my whole year running costs including a contribution towards the pool is about £500. With my  divorce very shortly coming to an end I really do want to think about what Dean wants from the future and an easier life where days dont just fly by is a great starting point. Ive always found most turkish people to be helpful and friendly more than the spanish and certainly more than the french! If I could I'd live in America but I suspect actualy living there would be same meat differant gravy. Besides that you can move there its almost impossible. I hope you get back soon and it sounds like you have a good 'happy' life for you and your daughter which is ultimately what its all about.

Offline wouwie

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
moving after 9 days :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf