Author Topic: UK state pension?  (Read 4704 times)

Offline glennat

UK state pension?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 13:49:40 PM »
Hi Teresa,

It's not just govt pensions which have been played with.  I recently changed my personal pension and mortgage etc so that the whole lot ends when I am 50 (similar thinking to you all, me thinks) only to be told by my financial worrier (I mean advisor) that I may not be able to claim my own private pension at 50 anyway!  As far as I can recall there is new legislation (or was it just some daft out-pourings from a think-tank?) which says I may have to wait until I am 55.
If this continues there will be no incentive for anyone to invest in their future.  Why invest when you can't retire early.  We will all be state owned drones.

You can have your soap box back now.

Glen.

Offline june

UK state pension?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 16:30:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

I stopped making my own contribution towards my pension a year or so ago, on the basis that no matter how much I paid in it would just not be enough, and the meagre amount I would get back to live on when I retired would not be worth having!.

Stu and I then decided we should look to do something with our life, and we came to Calis on holiday fell in love with it, decided that we wanted to retire early (very early retirement for Stu as he is a number of years younger than me!!!), put all our savings including the money I had previously paid to a pension together bought a cute apartment and hope to move over permanently inside of a year.  
I do understand though that at the age of 50 you can take a percentage of your pension out should you wish?.

June

Offline Linda1953

UK state pension?
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 21:06:37 PM »
June is this the state pension or a private pension you are talking about ? Sorry I'm confused.

Linda

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
UK state pension?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 22:40:13 PM »

That will be a private pension Linda, I started drawing one at 50, you can't touch your government pension until you are the right age - in my case 61 yrs 1 month! In the meantime they're hoping that you'll fall off the perch!! ;)

Offline Linda1953

UK state pension?
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 19:22:17 PM »
oh I see.  

I don't draw mine state pension until I'm 63 years!! I can't find or keep a permanent job here in the UK at 51 so how the government expects me to support myself here in the UK until I'm 63 I've no idea lol! Can see myself temping up to 63 and nobody appears to want you permanently at 51! So I'm outa here!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf