Author Topic: 'Westernising' the village  (Read 11585 times)

Offline Firo

'Westernising' the village
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
Peecee,
I agree with you.
Stunned with what you said about expats throwing water baloons & eggs at the local Turks!
Wonder who it was? Hopefully not expats who live here but some holiday makers, but that said either way it's deplorable.
Fi
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:46:32 AM by Firo »

Offline peecee

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
Stoop, agree and disagree - the Belediye were wrong to give so much planning permission (I could refer to my post re: the survey and lining pockets but won't!) but totally disagree when it comes builders/holiday homes.  The builders are out to make money, as is their wont, but if it is just a holiday home, bought to make a profit, then the owners have no right to start complaining about the way of life/state of the village/lack of amenities.
At this moment there is only two buildings being completed in the village (one to be sold on, the other I don't know)
Personal opinion, I'm selfishly rather glad of the recession in the UK/worldside because it will make people think about buying here as 'an investment'.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
Yes, I agree Peecee.  People should own property here because they love the village, not the potential investment.

As for the egg and balloon incident.  Someone tell me it isn't true.  What kind of creeps come here and do THAT.  I really hope they don't live here OR own property here.  It would be nice to think they never return.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 12:12:57 PM »
I wonder if people see the difference between WESTERNISING and MODERNISING? Progress happens, ex-pats/holiday home buyers or not. Why call it "westernising"? Can you really argue that old and quaint is Eastern and modern is western? A flash new bar isn't evidence of progress, it's evidence of westernisation? Absolute nonsense.

Maybe those who want to resist progress should have bought knackered old village houses and sympathetically restored them. A big five bedroom villa with beautiful blue pool and uPVC double glazing etc is totally acceptable but selling cocktails in a wine bar shows the decay of good old village life.

It's the same flawed argument as when those who dread the arrival of something like a MacDonalds in Fethiye. It is argued that it shows pandering to the wishes and needs of non-nationals, whereas the truth is that nobody cares to consider that TURKISH people may want this 'progress' too - OK for Brits in London but not for Turkish folk in their country.

I suppose some will resist any change that modern life brings to the area (apart from within their own private property borders of course, that's not up for debate) - and for those people, it's a real shame that you can't live in an old rock tomb and chase wild boar with home made spears.

Progress in Turkey will happen to some extent whether Brits live in an area or not. Resisting it can be seen as meddling, and I for one tend to agree with that. Much respect to those who chose a simpler life in Turkey, but if you think you can take the batteries out of someone else's clock, you may find they won't like it.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 12:46:26 PM »
As a person who said I hoped a McDonald's wouldnt show up in Fethiye, I feel you are taking things far too far.  I was merely saying what I would prefer.  I can only speak for me.  Same as you can only peak for you.  I can't stop what happens and if Turks or anyone wants anything like a Macdonalds or anything else, it will or will not happen.

I still have a right to an opinion on it though.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
Nobody is questioning anyone's right to an opinion, where did that come from?

I've given mine and that is that as welcomed immigrants into someone else's country, we shouldn't try to prevent progress for our own reasons. That's all I said.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 13:01:57 PM »
Scunner, what my thinking was behind this thread was that I don't want Uzumlu to end up like Calis.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 13:07:28 PM »
IF it is true that eggs and balloons were thrown at Turkish people in Uzumlu then perhaps it already has.:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 13:16:33 PM »
Not at all, I have NEVER seen any such behaviour in Calis.

Offline goatman

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 14:34:38 PM »
Peecee. Speaking, i think for all expats and owners of land/villas in üzümlu did you actually see these eggs and water being thrown at local Turks or is it yet another maliscious rumour. i cannot and will not believe it is an expat (pensioners throwing eggs, come on get real).i know the üzümlü thread has been quiet but these sort of comments unless witnessed personally should not be banded around on this site

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf