Author Topic: Recommended book on Turkey.  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Carpete

Recommended book on Turkey.
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
I have read "Portrait of a Turkish Family" by Irfan Orga 3 times now. Its a very moving account of a family and their lives from before, during and after Ataturk and 1923 and I highly recommend it. Also on a more political note then  Ataturk, Rebirth of a Nation by Patrick Kinross is also brilliant. :)
Carpete.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 18:35:25 PM »
Hi Carpete -  I have read both of those and thoroughly enjoyed them.  The Portrait of a turkish Family - I found a beautiful read - very enjoyable, and like you have reread it.  I had to be in the right mood for Kinross's book - I don't do politics easily - but if you have the patience, it is exceptionally good !!!    

Tales from the Expat Harem I found really interesting and enlightening - different stories from foreign women trying to settle in Turkey -  and also, by Jeremy Seal - A Fez of the Heart - travels around Turkey in search of a Hat !  very original and well written.

Offline Carpete

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 22:42:24 PM »
Hi Pookie,
 the "Portrait" really bought home  to me how much the changes in Turkey  in the early part of the 1900's affected  families and also explained some of the social history and cultural differences  which still exists in much of Turkey today. It was also very moving and I cried at times!  The fact the family were originally very comfortably off, made it even more difficult for them.  The struggle to survive, going from wealth to poverty so quickly and the extreme losses they suffered, the affect long term of the young mother, a very special insight into both courage and despair I think.  And a comfortable "read". Kinross, yes, I agree,  very good but I did read it in "small doses" too! But well worth the time and for anyone interested in the battles of Gallipolli  especially, then  very interesting I thought.  And of course huge insight into Ataturk and his mindset and vision. I will try to get both of those you refer too to bring out as I have exhausted my store currently!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 22:49:26 PM »
Carpete where can i get a copy of this book

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
Puma   - got mine from Amazon.co.uk

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations chaps. I'm currently reading 'Birds without wings' but I'm still undecided on whether I like it or not. It's loosely based on the story of Kayakoy. I think KKOB has read it so perhaps he may be able to give his review.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
It's "very loosely" based on Kaya Koy. It's a good, easy read, with lots of short chapters. Historically interesting. However, if you're expecting to be able to come to the valley and easily identify any particular landmarks mentioned in the book, you'll be disappointed I'm afraid.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
totally agree with KKOB  -  I loved the book and have read it a couple of times now - its an easy read and well written - but you would be hard pushed to recognise the location as Kaya Koy.

Offline Carpete

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 18:54:24 PM »
Yes, Amazon for both books mentioned above. I didn't enjoy Birds without Wings, its left me with very mixed feeling and I was glad to get to the end and put it to one side! Some parts were ok but I found it a very uneasy book emotionally. Each to their own!

Offline philrose

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »
Not a book but an interesting article by Jeremy Seal in the Times about Kaya Koy here...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/turkey/article6249994.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=1491494
His book on Turkey "A Fez of the Heart" is very good too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf