Author Topic: Bleach for septic tanks  (Read 1069 times)

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
Bleach for septic tanks
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
Which bleach is recommended for use with a septic tank, i believe domestos is no good, as it kills the bacteria inside, also, where do you buy it. Alan

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Bleach for septic tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
Hi Alan,
We have had a septic tank since 1983.  They work on bacteria, so any kind of bleach is bad, as you say it kills the bacteria.
When we had ours fitted the engineer told me if I had to use bleach to keep it to a minimum
and only use it maybe once every two weeks.   I do use household cleaners, but I try not
to use bleach too much, I usually use the bleach that's cheapest in the supermarket at the time, but I took the Engineers advise and only use it every 2 to 3 weeks and for the last 26 years it's been fine.  
Incidentally, he told us when we first installed the tank to get a large piece of rotten meat, like a leg of lamb, throw it into the tank and it would start the bacteria working immediately....
Jacqui.

Offline ovacik2

Bleach for septic tanks
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 14:37:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by number2

Which bleach is recommended for use with a septic tank, i believe domestos is no good, as it kills the bacteria inside, also, where do you buy it. Alan

Hi!
 It's not only bleach that is a problem with septic tanks any of the normal household cleaners and especially washing powders and the like all are bacteria killers. We are told that the "Bio"&"Eco" versions of these products are best, most available here in Fethiye.

We use chicken in the UK to restart the bacteria Cheaper than lamp too especially here in Turkey!

Alan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 14:40:36 PM by ovacik2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf