Author Topic: advice on which plant  (Read 2997 times)

Offline slartibartfast

advice on which plant
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
Hi
I would appreciate some suggestions on which plants would work for me.

Our place is in Ovacik.  I have a wall about 50 feet long. It is about 3 feet high with metal railings on top of it about another 2 foot high.

The ground has been backfilled and there is big drop at the other side so the drainage is good but it can make it a bit exposed .  Small trees in the garden such as olive and peach seem to do OK

I want planting which will give some cover along the wall and railings.   I don't want it be bushy so something which keeps close to the wall or which can be hacked back from time time.  

I don't want dense coverage.  I would rather have something which stops anyone seeing in easily but we can still get glimpses of the view through it.

Oh and it can't need constant TLC !

apart from that I am flexible :-)

I don't want an aggressive course vine.  A grape vine has been suggested but
I am not sure.   Also jasmine ?  Decorative would-be nice.  

Any suggestions ?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
advice on which plant
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »
how about wisteria, honeysuckle, climbing roses and jasmine.

Offline slartibartfast

advice on which plant
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 16:43:31 PM »
Thanks Nichola

I'm not keen on honeysuckle. It often looks scraggy in the UK. Wisteria might be a bit big. Not roses but I like the idea of jasmine. It doesn't grow all that fast with us in the UK so I thought it might take an age to give decent cover.. Does it do well in Ovacik ?. How about a mixture of Jasmine and bougainvillea ?.

Any idea when jasmine flowers in Turkey. Are they March planting also ? Any advice on where to get healthy plants ?

Any advice on how to stop asking questions :D

Offline Firo

advice on which plant
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 17:21:46 PM »
Virginia Creeper, Passion flower and honeysuckle will all do well. Bouganvillea might die back in the winter if it's exposed to the cold winds and frosts.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
advice on which plant
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 17:24:53 PM »
jasmine either white which smells great or yellow which flowers earlier in season and doesn't smell.wisteria will drop alot of dead flowers and only flowers for a month or so and will need support to get started. you could try ever green montana  (name has escaped me) which flowers.

Offline cheers

advice on which plant
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 17:29:37 PM »
Its 'Clematis' c1.  There are many different varieties which flower at different times of the year with different size blooms and are either fast or slowing growing.  I have a few of them in my garden and its rarely without colour.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 17:30:13 PM by cheers »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
advice on which plant
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
It sounds as if we have a similar set up to you and we chose wisteria and white jasmine.  The wisteria looks fantastic when in flower and has grown rapidly to give good coverage.  The Jasmine has also romped away and in the evening smells devine.  Honeysuckle needs quite a bit of water so may not be ideal, but passionflower is another good one to consider.  Beautiful flowers, good coverage and cute brightly coloured fruit in the late summer.

Offline slartibartfast

advice on which plant
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »
Thanks folks for the great info.  

From what people are saying the planting time in Turkey sounds critical.  Is March the only time to plant / transplant ?

Is there a popular source to buy good plants without breaking the bank ?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
advice on which plant
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »
thanks Cheers just had a senior moment

Offline DANKY

• Never red
advice on which plant
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 15:05:21 PM »
I always use the garden centre in ciftlik on the Main Dalaman road its very cheap and they deliver

a huge choice  but there  english very limted  

Danky

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf