Author Topic: Skype - Using your Mobile Number  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Skype - Using your Mobile Number
« on: January 09, 2011, 20:20:21 PM »
Hi - some may not know - but like others here I use Skype when in Turkey.

However when sending sms messages (cost 6p) the person receiving the message could not just press reply and we ended up confusing everyone so we reverted back to using our Turkish payg mobile (usual cost 24p).

So you can imagine my delight to find that you can (for the cost of one sms) actually verify (register) your mobile number within Skype so that the sms messages you send appear to have come from your verified mobile number - if the recipient(s) press reply it goes to your designated mobile.

I have now worked out that this should save us a further £4 a month which by my previous posts you will have worked out that is 2 lunches for Gill and I at our local kebab eatery plus lemon teas on the house!

Oh what you do is: When you are logged in to Skype - go - Tools > Options > IM & SMS > SMS Settings, click the link Verify your mobile phone number and then follow the steps described.

Ian (its not what you spend its what you save that counts) :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 20:21:27 PM by Ian »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Nice one.

If anyone has a smartphone have a look at whatsapp. Not sure if it's only iphone but it lets you send instant messages to anyone who has the same app - no matter where they are.

I used it to speak with my son whilst he was in Chiang Mai watching Leeds v Arsenal and I was in our local pub. Great on 3g and didn't seem to use any data at all (if it did it was minimal).

You can also send pics and videos but that might bump up the data use. I've done it via wifi though and it's excellent.

Costs 59p to purchase on iphone but already saved me more than that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:18:11 AM by stoop »

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 18:36:10 PM »
Also has a gps system built in so caller can see where you are, Rachael was using it whilst in Turkey during the summer she couldnt work out how I knew were she was ha ha.

Will work I-Phone to Blackberry.  

Ron

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf