Author Topic: internet connection  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Julesp

internet connection
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 22:56:40 PM »
They will sell the dongle at most of the Turkecell shops. I think my partner paid approx 140 tl for dongle and 1 month of 4 gb included, To top up you have to go to the turkcell shops that have the big lit up and plastic TiM sign outside, there are 2 on the road between PTT and the Central Mosque also I think there is one on the what I call the Top Road on the oneway system Past Pasa Kabab etc on the left hand side

And if I remember rightly. they want passport and an address for id
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 22:58:41 PM by Julesp »

Offline brettfletcher

internet connection
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 23:00:21 PM »
Great, I'll buy one when I come out next Friday! Can't wait, thanks again.

Offline LeeGlo

internet connection
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 13:35:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Julesp

quote:
Originally posted by brettfletcher

Hi, just wondered if these dongles are pay as you go as I only visit for a few months year. Thanks.

The gbs purchased are valid for one month from date of purchase, and if you dont top up before then you lose any gbs left on it, if you top up early any remaining gbs are added on
 I dont know what happens if you dont use for months at a time But I should imagine you just top up again when you come over, then they would be valid for 1 month again or maybe someone else knows better?

Thank you Julesp for that very useful info. We have just bought a Turkcell dongle. Must say I was very impressed with the speed,(in Calis), though I rather think it depends on the area you are in as the guy in the shop, at Gunlukbasi where we bought it from, said it was very slow in that area.

One thing we didn't know and had a problem with, was that you DO need to have Microsoft NET Passport loaded on your computer or the dongle software will not install. Hence the second visit to Gunlukbasi with laptop in tow.

We were told in the shop if you didn't use it because you where out of the country etc., you could just top up  when you wanted to use it again.

Do you know if you can top up the credit via internet banking, instead of going to the shop each month, same as your mobile phone, and if so how, as I can't see 3G VINN listed on my banks internet site.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
internet connection
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 14:31:02 PM »
LeeGlo, do you mind telling us how much it was?
I may purchase one when I go next week.
I don't mind topping up when you come back into the country providing it dosn't get cut off over the winter.

Also why are they so expensive in the UK you can get them for about £10-£15 on Ebay. I assume that if you take an unlocked one from the UK and try a Turkcell sim in it it wont work.

Offline LeeGlo

internet connection
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 15:07:48 PM »
Hi Bewva

We paid 120 TL in total for the dongle, sim card and first months 4GB included as a "gift".

We then had to pay another 20TL to the shop almost next door for the guy to download NET passport and set it up for us on his wifi, but that was my fault for not having the relevant software on my laptop.

Sorry can't help on the question of a UK unlocked dongle and Turkcell sim card, but no doubt some else will.

Offline janincalis

internet connection
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 18:01:11 PM »
My friend tried to use her dongle from the uk and it didnt work. She is going back to the uk and is selling her turkcell dongle if anyone is interested 90 lira

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
internet connection
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 23:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies will I need to download NET passport before I go or is there a way around this?
Also can you see how much credit you have left while using it?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 23:29:22 PM by bewva »

Offline LeeGlo

internet connection
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 13:01:28 PM »
Sorry for late reply Bewva, you need to have NET passport loaded first otherwise the dongle software won't install, that was my problem. As to credit, I've just logged on after being off a couple of days and it is showing a reduced GB available total now, so yes it does appear to keep track, but as it's a prepaid or pay as you go, if you run out of credit you just won't be able to log on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf