Author Topic: Bus Crashes onto Olu Deniz Beach  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Bus Crashes onto Olu Deniz Beach
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 22:46:24 PM »
Yes but driving instructors don't drive the buses do they? Nearly every bus driver I have travelled downhill with in Turkey cooks their brakes. Fact.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ovaciksarah

Driving instructors have to be better than police instructors

How did Police Instructors suddenly get into the conversation?

And here's an excerpt from a website giving advise on passing the modern driving test.

About Block Gear Changes
Some drivers have a habit of always changing through the gears one-by-one (1,2,3,4,5 - 5,4,3,2,1). This habit has stuck with some older drivers from when they originally learned to drive many years ago.
Today, in a normal car and for everyday on-road driving, it is not generally good practice to use the gears in this way. We can change down the gears in blocks ( 5th to 2nd or 4th to 2nd. etc)
Over the years, motor car design and engineering has improved. Compared with cars of even ten years ago, modern cars are lighter, more powerful and more aerodynamic. These changes mean that the driving method that was essential in older cars is no longer needed in modern driving.
It is not necessary to change gears in sequence.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:53:11 AM by KKOB »

Offline screamlead

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
It is not necessary to change gears in sequence. - Except when trying to go from 1st to 5th and stall, or 5th to 2nd and get the engine to jump out of the bonnet!!

Offline Stan

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
People are confusing cars and coaches/trucks here, on a heavy vehicle if you tried to use only the brakes you would soon come unstuck (as this driver did). Depending on the type of vehicle there is usually an engine brake ,which  works better if the engine revs are higher (unless its a transmission type retarder) so you have to use the gears if the terrain dictates this (hilly roads).Even with no engine brake if its hilly you should use the gears to help keep the vehicle under control using the engine braking.On a modern car you would probably be o.k  just using the brakes (don't agree myself though) most of the time.

Also , was the vehicle maintained properly ?

And I think Scunner touched on, you can instruct someone till you are blue in the face, but when the driver is on his own you can't make him do anything.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Stan

And I think Scunner touched on, you can instruct someone till you are blue in the face, but when the driver is on his own you can't make him do anything.

And of course you have to remember TKB (Turks Know Best) :D ;):D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf