Author Topic: Scam? Advice sought.  (Read 4537 times)

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
Scam? Advice sought.
« on: February 04, 2013, 17:42:25 PM »
I received an e mail today from OPINURATE Platform advising me that I recently entered a unique code and answered feedback questions via the OPINURATE Platform.

The e mail went on to explain that all unsuccessful codes and unclaimed prizes had been mixed together because all monthly prizes must be won and delivered within 49 days.

Apparently I have won an Apple iPod Nano. Whatever that is.

The e mail asks for a home/work address suitable for a 'signed for' during the day delivery.

I cannot remember having any contact with OPINURATE. This does not mean that I have not had contact with them. Just that I do not remember it.

The e mail gave an address in Glasgow. They have a web site which I would not know is genuine or worth being wary of.

I have a well established history of never getting anything I have not paid for or worked for so I am suspicious of this sudden stroke of good fortune.

Anyone have any information on OPINURATE or their own opinion on my good fortune?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Scam? Advice sought.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 18:11:45 PM »
I presume that you have seen the J Hill listed as winners on the website.

Offline John H

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 18:50:16 PM »
John,as I said I do not know if I can trust the web site. The fact that it shows a list of 'winners' does not remove my caution.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 19:03:24 PM »
I would advise that if you can't remember being on the site or entering a "unique code" then I would delete the mail and forget about it. I am a great believer in you don't get owt for nowt.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 19:12:26 PM »
Is there ever such a thing as 'Free Lunch', no, I didn't think so.

Offline BlackAdder

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 19:19:18 PM »
Almost certainly they will ask you to pay for postage or somesuch.

Chances of you ever seeing the ipod are, near as dammit 0

Offline bigfoot

• Irish Blood. Scouse Heart. We are Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 19:21:58 PM »
There are Several References to these people on the net. If you Google them and go to the terms and conditions section of their site you will see how you may have been entered into their draw. Also your name is on the monthly winners list, you can also go to companies house and see that they are registered on there.  but if you still are unsure its only a I Pod Nano  a  Music Player  retail in uk about £105.00

Offline bigfoot

• Irish Blood. Scouse Heart. We are Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 19:26:39 PM »
.SC412512
VitalsDownloadsFinancialsPeopleOpinionsMy AppsinShare.DetailsOpinurate LtdEdit details
Company Number: SC412512
Company Type: Private limited with Share Capital
SIC Code: —Inc. Date: 02 Dec 2011
Annual Returns: Unknown
Annual Accounts: 30 Nov 2012
Add Add Add Registered Address
29 Brandon Street
Hamilton
South Lanarkshire
ML3 6DA
United KingdomRegistered Tel: Add Telephone numberTrading AddressEdit details

29 Brandon Street
Hamilton
Lanarkshire
ML3 6DA
Trading Tel: Add Telephone numberAbout Opinurate Ltd Opinurate Ltd was founded on 02 Dec 2011 and has its registered office in South Lanarkshire. The organisation's status is 'Non-trading', and they have 2 associated directors - all of which are current. The company has no known group companies. The company has not reported any financial records.

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 23:41:02 PM »
I always delete everything like that.  I assume that anything from someone I don't recognise or that's telling me I've won something is likely to be a scam.  If I'm wrong, well I didn't have that iPod Nano or whatever before so I'm not worse off.  My guess is that it's worth avoiding.  I never respond to an email like this, I never buy anything or change any service on the phone and I never enter competitions.

The other thing that I never do is surveys.  Occasionally I get a call saying "6 months ago you did a survey" and I cut them off saying "no I didn't".  It's very satisfying and I am absolutely 100% certain it's true because I haven't done a survey for anyone or anything for 15 years or more.  If you do a survey your information and contact details get passed on to all and sundry and then emails like the one you've received become an even more regular occurrence.   : :)

Offline John H

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
Thanks to all who replied. I'm really curious about this company now. Their Hamilton address is a short walk from my home so I will go and have a look at that. I will post the outcome.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf