Author Topic: A hot and dry summer but.......  (Read 970 times)

Offline sannyrut

A hot and dry summer but.......
« on: August 31, 2013, 15:21:02 PM »
Where me and my missus stay is in west central Scotland.This summer has been, for here, hotter than usual,and,apart from a thunderplump this am in EK,dry.As a result,I had trouble keeping my greenhouse below 30 degrees C.The result now is my tomato plants (Shirley)have produced smaller fruits :-\Still tasty,but reduced in size.On several days,I had to hose down the whole greenhouse repeatedly despite the double doors and window vents being wide open.Even my chilli plants stood still and refused to provide additional flowers and more chillies.It's cooler now and everything in there is taking off again  :)
Anyone had the same problem?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: A hot and dry summer but.......
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 18:13:17 PM »
Sannyrut, i'm in Birmingham and have had similar symptoms.Several varieties of outdoor tomatoes have produced mainly small tomatoes.
Indoor red pointed peppers did nothing for a couple of months and now they're going like mad.Indoor red chillies FI Apache stalled for a couple of months and are now absolutely full.Indoor cucumbers have been normal.Strange, but welcome result.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: A hot and dry summer but.......
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 18:38:13 PM »
I am in the North East of Scotland.  My greenhouse doors need to be opened most day even though the windows at the top open automatically.   Strawberries have done well this year also courgettes and chillies are now coming on a treat perhaps tomatoes have not been as good, but I tried a different variety this year and they are much bigger than the ones I normally grow. . However, have to water all time and remember about opening the door as it gets so hot in there.   ;) ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf