Author Topic: Do We Offend Muslims?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Do We Offend Muslims?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 17:59:14 PM »
When in Rome do as the Romans do------or lump it!
  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 18:18:25 PM »
When I detect a slight tide of criticism, via radio interviews or social media comments, from disgruntled Muslims it is not about Christianity in Britain it is about people like me - atheists. The complaint is not that non-Muslim British people believe in the wrong god, it is that this is a godless nation (those worried about offending my sensibilities may chose to refer to this as god-free).

Of course, I reject this. "When in Rome pretend to be a Roman Catholic": no bloody way.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 20:51:26 PM »
Quite right Colwyn.  As I always say 'When in Bristol, look for the quickest road out."  ;)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »
I'm deeply offended by Christmas.

Roll on 2nd Jan.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
Why Menthol? Please explain. 8)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
Quite right Colwyn.  As I always say 'When in Bristol, look for the quickest road out."   ;)
I'm sure there would be plenty of Bristolians only too pleased to point it out to you.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »

Roll on 2nd Jan.
LOL Eeeeeh, tha'll get som stick in 'ere Lass! How about Yom Kippur? Or Divali? What are your
views on Guru Nanuk day?  Love it Menthol, very good  :)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
Sigh, the thing I hate the most is the horrendous bullying of Moslems by the Islamic? mafia from Pakistan the Biradari. Bradford has become like Chicago in the 1920's but its not Al Capone its Mohammed bin Drug Lord!

By pandering to their hatred by avoiding using the word Christmas which a lot of councils do makes me very angry indeed.

This is and should be a secular state but the vast majority would consider themselves Christian, (they are not of course, religion isn't about where you are born it is a belief and living to a code), and therefore they have the right to put "merry Christmas" etc, where they hell they like and nobody including the Moslems, Jews, Janes or Zoroastrians should complain!

Not far from where I live there are always signs up and Menorah decorations on Jewish Holy Days, nobody should be offended. There are areas where you will see lights for Divali, and don't think about going to Rusholme at Eid al Fitr  :) unless you like playing sardines! I think it is great, we all seem to get along, but its not like that in a lot of Lancashire!

Khoda Hafez!

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »

Roll on 2nd Jan.

I'm with you on 'roll on 2nd Jan', but it's more because I'm jaded by the whole Christmas hype.

Setting aside any personal or religious beliefs, I'm just fed up of how it's just morphed into a massive orgy of gift-grabbing and gluttony with no thought for what's behind it.

Who can spend the most on their kids' presents, how many did everyone get? What - you only got an iPhone 4? I got an iPhone 5 AND a new XBox AND a bike.
I really don't care. For me, the best thing about it is the opportunity to have a few days away from work, quietly re-centre myself and reconnect with Mr WB and the kids.

As far as offending Muslims (or anyone else) goes.... I believe that if you choose to live somewhere, you should accept their culture, customs and practices, whether that means people who come here accepting that as a nation we celebrate Christmas publicly, or me accepting that somewhere I choose to be doesn't.

Live and let live.......

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 13:21:19 PM »
I am looking forward to Christams,2 young grandchildren, family around, playing games, nice food, time off work, maybe some nice presents (last on the list and the least important)

im blessed with a great family so whats not to like?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf