Author Topic: Xmas begging on TV  (Read 7348 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Xmas begging on TV
« on: December 26, 2013, 18:06:16 PM »
As most of you know I spent 5 years on The 3cs committee and continue to give them my full support.. We also donate to Children in Need and every major disaster.. We also give to our local hospice and will be holding a coffee morning for The children's hospice her. However, this afternoon alone on ITV 3 we had 3 charities one after the other in between every programme.. This is our first Xmas in England..Is it normal for this barage every year.. I do appreciate the need for donations and I am not heartless but this constant asking for money gets very wearing.. Is it just me??   The only ones that tug my heart strings are the NSPCC ones but my friend used to donate £5 per month until after 3 months she was asked to increase this to either £15 or £25 per month...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Xmas begging on TV
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 18:13:29 PM »
I only support the local Calis and Fethiye charities. I have never donated to Children in Need, Comic Relief etc and apart from the odd weak moment when someone catches me offguard with a tin or the like, no others.

I do not think my money gets used enough for what I gave it for and don't want £7 of my tenner to go to admin costs and paying off local tribal leaders. I have seen the local charities at work over there and I know that all of my tenner gets exchanged into good and needed things. That is just what I want and what I believe I get.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 19:18:55 PM »
As an owner of racing greyhounds, I support the Retired Greyhound Trust, I give every month to the PDSA, and Cancer Research UK,  I also support the local hospice, give a donation to Help the Heroes, and do my small bit for the 3 C's and Animal Aid in Calis.  BUT I have to harden my heart to all the other appeals that are everywhere on the t.v  especially at this time of the year.  I will not allow myself to be blackmailed by the look of a sad child drinking polluted water, or any of the other charities meant to tug at your hear strings. There is the danger of spreading yourself too thinly, and as Scunner says some of the charities spend a good proportion of our donations on admin. and advertising, it makes me wonder how much reaches its meant for, destination!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 19:28:22 PM »
I support UNICEF, Shelter, Red Cross and until very recently The Salvation Army, with a regular monthly donation.

I along with my Mum and Dad also contribute clothing and foodstuffs to a local charity for the homeless called Shilohs. We can see the work this organisation do and speak to the clients that are helped by them. Some of the clients they have helped have been able to re-start their lives and are now regular volunteers themselves at the centre.

The family, including my brother, also sponsor a child/teenager each in Uganda. This is through my friend Phil's charity, and I know that all the money goes to the people he helps in the villages around Mbale.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 21:03:26 PM »
I think the answer to this is to give with your heart, if you want to support in far off places, where you know your money will help, then so be it.  We cannot all help every good cause going, so its up to every individual to choose who you want to give your money to.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 21:10:31 PM »
We support lots of Charities in the U.K. Including the Lifeboats and Cancer Research, the only one we support abroad is the 3C's.  Again, because we know exactly where the money goes.
Only today we were saying that 40 years ago the same adverts where on T.V. for starving children in Africa and nothing seems to change. Hundreds of children keep on being born when their parents are in the most terrible circumstances.
When my husband was a Junior Engineer on the African run, his ship took out two ambulances that had been donated by children through the T.V. programme Blue Peter.  One month later a sister ship called into the same Port and there were two skeleton shapes on the quay, they where what was left of the ambulances.  They had never moved from the quay and had been totally stripped down to the bare metal. 

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 00:16:34 AM »
It's not just the tv though.  You can't do a food shop here in Glasgow without someone rattling a tin in your direction. The city centre is worse.
Whilst I agree much help is needed for many great causes, to feel 'obliged' to donate is now becoming tiresome.
Each of us have a charity that for some reason or another is close to our hearts but there just never seems to be enough.  Perhaps it's time to get rid of the top brass, leaflet drops and advertising and spend our monies where it's needed most.

Offline Partygirl

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 00:40:20 AM »
I support a children's charity with a monthly donation. I was called one morning and their immediate spill was to tell.me about Paul a homeless boy. They went into deep detail, then when I said I wouldn't be upping my monthly contribution they started with another about Kim! Obviously to try and make me feel guilty! I said if I ever had a phone call like this from them again I would stop my monthly donation!!! I have quite a few similar calls from other charities! Playing the guilt trip game is very wrong in my opinion!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
….I do not think my money gets used enough for what I gave it for and don't want £7 of my tenner to go to admin costs and paying off local tribal leaders. I have seen the local charities at work over there and I know that all of my tenner gets exchanged into good and needed things. That is just what I want and what I believe I get.
The chief execs and fundraisers over here for the big "charities" don't work for nothing either and I don't want to pay for them.  3C's is what charity is all about and it's the people involved that set such a good example that makes me want to support.  There are good causes closer to home but you are right - just can't be sure of where your money is going.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
It's just the one after the other and the constant barrage.. I hope they get the advertising free as that doesn't come cheap on TV.. I personally think that the constant advertising creates an adverse effect because people get sick up to the back teeth with them so decide to donate to none of them..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf