Author Topic: New laws on bike licence  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Hils

New laws on bike licence
« on: March 25, 2014, 21:27:48 PM »
Hi was wondering if anyone can help us. We have owned a motorbike for the past 7years or so and up until last summer have had no problems in MOT and taxing it etc. But then at the end of our holiday we were unable to complete the processes by obtaining a police tax. We went to the customs police office at the harbour in Fethiye and tried to find out what we were to do but they didn't understand us. We have since emailed the British Consulates in Fethiye and Bodrum but have had no response. Anyone facing a similar situation or can advise a course of action? Is obtaining residency the only option? Thanx.

Offline saoirse

Re: New laws on bike licence
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 21:33:18 PM »
Hils what is a Police tax?

Offline Sunny Boy

• Newby
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 22:10:26 PM »
If you do not have residency then you own the bike illegally, in 2006 I and my friends bought scooters because they did away with the requirement for residency to buy a motor vehicle, all went along nicely until 2012 when I could not tax or insure my scooter my friends had the same problem, the law on residency had been reintroduced and both myself and my friends found that although we had bought and run our scooters legally fr 6 years we were now ilegal, to get them insured and taxed and indeed to sell our scooters or buy new ones we had to take out residency.

Offline Sunny Boy

• Newby
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
Hi Hils I have been posting on fb in reply to your Turkish friend who says he has now legally insured your scooter without you taking out residency, he has now deleted the post as I pointed out that you can get insurance but it will not be legal, I did say that you needed residency to legally own a motor vehicle he insists that law is only for new vehicles, he is wrong and so am I, you do not need residency but what you do need is a Kimlik which is a Turkish ID number, now the only way I know of getting your Kimlik is to take out your residency, I can remember now on my many visits to the traffic police this is what they and Mugla and the insurance companies were asking for, I realised my mistake after reading a post from KKOB who pointed out that the law requiring your Kimlik came in to force in 2010 and KKOB certainly knows his stuff regarding what you can and can not do in Turkey, as I pointed out to your friend you may have tax and insurance but if you are stopped by the traffic police or have an accident they will want to see your Kimlik, after I got my residency I could not get insurance until I got my Kimlik.
I do hope this helps it took me nearly 12 months to sort all this out but once I had residency and Kimlik no problem.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
The kimlik number certainly is the passport to many things in Turkey.  But do you need residency to get one?  If you do not can someone remind me how to get it?  I have one but I am sure it would be useful for others to know how to obtain it.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 13:00:53 PM »
The kimlik number certainly is the passport to many things in Turkey.  But do you need residency to get one?  If you do not can someone remind me how to get it?  I have one but I am sure it would be useful for others to know how to obtain it.

Marggie has given you the link, BUT you still need to enter your RP number to get your kimlik number - so yes you DO need an RP.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 15:36:18 PM »
I have a saying nothing is a problem in Turkey until you have one. And after 9 years of living her and owning cars and scooters I can confirm that you do need Residency to be LEGAL . God forbid something happens because you will not be covered once they check your paperwork.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf