Author Topic: Looks like a purfect Turkish village to retire to  (Read 12038 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Looks like a purfect Turkish village to retire to
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
Regarding family, you're only 4 hours away by plane and if you've got Skype you can see your family every day.  Good luck.

Offline 160606

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 18:23:37 PM »
We move permanently on 26th February leaving behind our one and only daughter, her husband and our two fantastic grandchildren.  We have a large extended family who we will miss but obviously our immediate family is the biggest thing that we shall miss, unfortunately we are orphans having lost our parents years ago.  Fortunately for us we are moving across the garden from our best friends, who have lived permanently in Calis now for 3 years and who regulars on here will all know - The Rimms. We have good friends who we will also miss.  But after working for 92 years between us, we have decided it is about time we had a life of our own. Not one of our family have said anything other than positive things to us, and although we are rushed off our feet sorting the house here out and preparing for the move we wouldn't change it for the world. 
If I were you I would try renting initially whilst looking for a permanent property.  We are in Calis which means if we turn right on the main road we can be in almost normal turkey or if we turn left we can be in holiday turkey so have the benefit of both.  I have heard though that transport up in Uzumulu,  especially in the winter stops quite early in the evening, so maybe you would want to take that into consideration, but living there will give you all the pros and cons and you can make your decision, its a lovely village.  Good luck and hope to one day see you around. 

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
As others have said, make your own mind up - and I would definitely recommend renting somewhere first.

Living somewhere is very different to visiting or staying on holiday, and personally I have found areas I previously loved and thought 'I could live there' would actually be far from ideal as a permanent home.

I moved out with my family last June, and fortunately we are very happy in our chosen village of Kaya, where we rent. It's not perfect, because nothing ever is, but you need to decide whether the benefits outweigh any problems you might encounter.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »
A great piece of advice WordBird.   
When we bought our place in Calis 11 years ago, we bought intent on the idea that this was the place we would retire to and live permanently in Calis.   
My husband has retired now and although we love Calis to bits and always look forward to our holidays there (and now look forward to longer holidays)  We have totally changed our minds and will not be moving permanently.  We are now happy to stay living in Scotland and enjoy our breaks in Calis.

Offline big cal

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 15:36:13 PM »
Thanks for all your advice, yes i think renting first is a good option. Will probably be inundating everyone with more questions  :-\
Great site and very addictive x

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 17:24:56 PM »
I have to agree with Jacqui. When I was younger I thought I could live in Fethiye permanently but now I can I am happy to live in Scotland and have long holidays anywhere in the world.

Offline big cal

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
Ood luck with your move on the 26th, hope all goes well, you must be so excited x

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 20:54:58 PM »
Uzumlu might be chilly in winter, but it's a bit cooler in summer.  It's lovely here IMHO, but like places in the sticks in the UK it's not for everyone.  Weird though, how people who don't live here can be so opinionated about our home.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 21:14:25 PM »
Brenda and I really enjoyed our one and only visit to Uzumlu - although. truth be told, we didn't see much of the village.

The natives however were very friendly and super hosts.

That having been said the dolmus service was cr*p   ;)

Offline angela

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 21:19:38 PM »
Hi Carole,
Have just read your first post. We moved out here in October, and are renting on the outskirts of Fethiye, we have no plans to buy, but see this as a forever move. Of course it is very hard leaving family, and the guilty feelings will certainly persist. I have 5 grand children and I am off next week to see them all, but I know how much I will be looking forward to getting back here.
Living here is very different from holidaying here, and you do only realise that by living here.
It has been a very cold wet winter, but there are gloriously warm sunny days in between. Turkish houses are not built for winter, and it can be colder inside than out, but you can make every day an adventure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf