Author Topic: Carry iD - please read  (Read 7007 times)

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
Re: Carry iD - please read
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 00:36:10 AM »
Do you think driving license is enough ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 03:17:36 AM »
No.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
I still have the old pink driving licence which is valid until 2019.This has no photo.When I last hired a car (two years ago) there wasn't a problem but I never got stopped by the polis.Would this be an issue now ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:09 AM »
don't have a problem with security side of it, but don't fancy carry it around and about the market or a day out on the beach, not something i would want to leave unattended while i popped off for a swim!

Quite right too.  I never take my passport if out for a night on the beer, either in Fethiye or Istanbul - used to take just my RP (when I had one) as that was easier to replace than a passport and now just make sure I've got my photocard driving licence or a photocopy of my passport.

Get a copy notarized and carry that. Problem solved.

Not ideal for the average tourist, but yes, simple solution for regularly returning longer term holidaymakers.

Do you think driving license is enough ?

If it's a UK (or other EU) issued photocard licence in the past they've usually been fine for ID checks, I've shown mine on more than occasion without issue - a friend of mine even used a video rental store membership card once when stopped on the Sahil Yolu in Istanbul.  It had his photograph, his name and was obviously foreign so the Polis looked at him, looked at the card and waved him on.

I think you have to put these ID checks into context - they're looking to identify illegal migrants, members of terrorist organisations and anyone who the Polis or MIT have an interest in.  As long as you have some form of photo ID you should be fine - I don't think they're going to haul a couple of middle aged foreigners, on their way back from Migros, off the dolmus (in a tourist area) because they don't have passports. 

Although, to avoid any "issues", Jackstee's advice is solid - notarised copy of passport and everything's tickety boo.  Anyone who has been involved with property purchase down this way is bound to have one somewhere.

Usual disclaimer - I could be talking complete bollox here, and if you haven't got ID when stopped you could end up spending your holiday in Fethiye Prison - alternatively they could simply realise you ain't an illegal or a terrorist mastermind and wave you on  :)

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf