Author Topic: E u  (Read 16586 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: E u
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
Radio Five Live this morning interviewing hotel manager from Olu Deniz who said he might have wanted to join 10 years ago but not now.

Offline davybill

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 08:40:04 AM »
According to David Cameron, it will be decades before Turkey will be allowed into the EU.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »
It already has been three decades and Turkey has been an Associate Member for even longer - from 1963.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »
On the basis that Turkey has only managed to (provisionally) complete one accession chapter out of thirty five since the nineties, and the "Cyprus Issue" is a major stumbling block over at least six other chapters, I think we could safely say that it'll be a wee while before Turkey is able to join the EU.

I heard an Out supporter (a female MP) rabbiting on about god knows how many millions Turks would be appearing in a high street near you within a year or so, and thought - how can someone sit there and blatantly lie over Turkeys accession process.  Then I remembered, she's a politician.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
Apparently you misunderstood her, John. What she was really saying was NOT that Turkey would get in by the back door and the UK could do nothing to stop it (even though we have a veto) although she did happen to use those actual words. What she really meant was that the UK Government wouldn't use their veto so the British people would find they had no choice. You see? Iain Duncan Blitherington Smith explained it all away. Entirely your mistake. Perhaps you should apologize.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
LOL!

I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, I have my opinion and it wont be changed by anything I hear on television or other media.  I got the impression she was talking about Turkeys formal accession to the EU taking only a year or two - a process that, to quote an IN campaigner, will take "decades". 

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 13:59:45 PM »

The RTE factor will ensure it  NEVER happens, but the UK's borders are so porous the end result will be the same

whatever the circumstances. This referendum is about showing us what a lying, hypocritical bunch of b##tards

we pay to represent us.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 14:27:28 PM »
This referendum is about showing us what a lying, hypocritical bunch of b##tards we pay to represent us.
Is it? I thought it was about whether or not we remain within the EU. But if you say all those Old Etonians will disappear if we vote "Leave" I may have to rethink. But I suspect we will swap one set of OEs for another.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 14:48:44 PM »

Well from all the scenario's presented thus far, it seems the Jehovah's have nailed it.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 15:09:39 PM »
The latest leave campaign video is a take on a recent UKIP video warning about the impending 77 million that have their bags packed and are ready to invade the UK. This is supported by Boris. The man who has in the past 3 years declared himself in favour of Turkey joining the EU, declared himself the most pro immigration political supporter in the UK and wanted an amnesty for all illegals.

The rabbiting out supporter is a minister in the present government. Not only did she go on about the Turks, she did not even know that countries had the right to veto applications. So much for taking her advice.

I do enjoy the reading the Daily Mail and the Express. Anyone who makes a statement supporting remaining in the EU does not know what they are talking about and are spreading fear. Any nobody who makes a statement supporting the leave campaign is an expert and knows what he is talking about.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf