• I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Meis
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
Buy your tickets from Meis Express.

https://www.meisexpress.com/en/home

Offline philrose

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
The accommodation is not too shabby either...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 15:21:02 PM »
Things are hotting up in the waters around Kastellorizo / Meis with Turkish and Greek naval ships patrolling the area.

https://ahvalnews.com/greece-turkey/turkish-greek-frigates-face-around-greek-island

Offline Menthol

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 19:38:48 PM »
It will not let me connect to ahval news.com  :-\

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 19:42:53 PM »
You're in Turkey. Ahval is banned there. You'll need to access it via a VPN.

Here's the article for you.

Frigates from the Greek and Turkish navies were patrolling around a small Greek island just off the coast of Turkey on Thursday as a dispute over territory simmered.

The Turkish vessel was stationed between the resort town of Kaş and the Mediterranean island of Kastellorizo, which lies 2 kilometres off southern Turkey, according to a video published by the Yeni Şafak newspaper on social media.

The ship belonging to the Greek navy was patrolling on the opposite, south side of the tiny island, which is 6 kilometres long.

The militaries of the two countries almost clashed over Kastellorizo in late July. The Greek army called a state of emergency and fighter jets were readied after Turkey sent a seismic research vessel to the area to conduct hydrocarbon exploration and a fleet of its warships neared.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel intervened to prevent an escalation, holding phone calls with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

The island, which is known as Meis in Turkey, has belonged to Greece since 1947. It is flanked by two Turkish peninsulas to the east and west, as well as Kaş and a range of Turkish mountains to the north.

U.S. President Donald Trump held separate phone calls with Erdoğan and Mitsotakis on Wednesday, urging the two leaders to resolve the standoff through negotiation. Greece argues that its islands are part of its continental shelf, while Turkey says it has its own sovereign sea rights.

Both countries are accusing each other of intransigence and provocation.

Kastellorizo, with its tiny, historic harbour town and Ottoman mosque, is usually a popular tourist attraction for people visiting Kaş and the surrounding area. It is part of Greece's Rhodes region.
Small ferry boats make regular trips to and from the island. The service appeared to be suspended on Thursday, according to the ferry operator’s website. An annual swimming event is also held across the same stretch of water.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 00:21:31 AM »
Thank you for the translation   :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »
Wow - a thread started by JH   :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
Well, I couldn't see the point in starting another with the same name.  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »

Ankara rejects any "illegal changes" to the status of Kastellorizo, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Sunday, following news footage showing Greek soldiers disembarking from a ferry to the island on Friday.

https://ahvalnews.com/kastellorizo/turkey-warns-greece-over-sending-troops-kastellorizo

Offline davybill

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
No trips to Mais, People from Travellers from Turkey not allowed 
In Greece at the moment, due to problems with Greece

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf