Author Topic: wills & removal companies  (Read 8621 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
wills & removal companies
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 20:01:52 PM »
Thanks for the update Haluk....I expect when the subject crops up next time it will have changed again. :)

Offline tytots

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:29:20 AM »
This month we found on passing through customs at Dalalman every one with a cardboard box was asked to open them, this was at 0600hrs. It has never happened to us before, looks like customs are keeping an eye out for electrical stuff. The toy boat got the nod, but the bread maker had a good inspection even though I can't get BBC on it. Elaine

Offline Eric

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 19:09:39 PM »
Elaine,
Did they charge for the Bread maker? It's one of the items I was thinking of taking out?

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 21:15:43 PM »
Breadmaker? at 20 pence a loaf. Is it worth making your own?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 22:21:55 PM »
Send me an e-mail. I have a friend who has just moved to Uzumlu and is still a partner in a UK removal company. He is not only moving his own goods across as we speak but has been doing so for others for quite a few years now. I'm sure he will be able to help.

Stoop

Offline kathy1951

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 14:45:02 PM »
Hi everyone,
Not been on the forum for a long time, we moved and had to wait a while to get back on line.
Anybody shipping goods into Turkey will pay tax, as at that point it is a temporary import. then after two years you have to remew the import and pay more tax, again two years after that and then a year after that. If you don't renew the importation you will be fined.  What a lot of hassle. Also within the 5 year period you are not allowed to sell or get rid of anything you bring over.
We drove over, no hassle whatsoever. Nobody even wanted to look in our transit van and paid no taxes.  One big plus we had our furniture and personal effects on arrival of our new home and didn't have to wait to get residence before we could pick it up.  My advise to anyone and everyone DRIVE OVER enter at Marmaris, problem yok.

Offline starman

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 18:59:07 PM »
I wouldnt openly advise anyone to drive over with a transit van full of furniture. You only need to get one alert customs man to inspect and your buggered.
The value amount of goods for personal effects is 1500 euros for which you pay a 10% tax.
Also another thing not quite correct. When you ship goods in permanently, make sure you tell them its a permanent import and not a temporary one (Gecici kabul), a permanent import means you pay tax on the items at the rate of 18% of what the customs man deems it is worth (taking into consideration wear,tear and age) and once you pay the tax then thats it. No yearly tax, no not selling anything for 5 yrs etc. KKYOB can confirm this as his shipment was a permanent import.
If you do a temporary import then you put up a bond instead of paying tax. This bond will be tied with the 'beyanname' (customs declartion form, green and white) and has to be renewed every year or 2 years depending on the beyanname. The goods listed on the form HAVE to leave Turkey for you to get your bond back.
Temporary imports are generally only done for working expats and not touristic expats who have come here to settle and your moving company or customs agent should have been aware of that.
Also another tip, if you import used house hold goods, make sure they are used and not looking brand new. If you have something brand new then just remove the plastic etc to make it look that the box etc has been opened instead of coming right off the shelf.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 08:02:43 AM »
He's right, you know !

Offline Eric

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
Well first of all thanks for all the advice it's just so helpful & confusing but we think we are wading through it. Has anyone omported a 20cubic foot container in and how much did it cost and what were your experiences like. We have been told that we have to have a residents permit first then we could well have to travel to Izmir to oversee the customs pay the taxes etc etc. Ideally we would like a company that can do all of this for us and deliver door to door. Lots of you say buy it all new but we have items that we do not want to sell at silly prices and it will help us settle in Uzumlu with some familiar household effects. As we are leaving a 2 bed apartment for a 4 bed house there will still be lots of furniture we will have to buy so this seems to be the best scenario. Any recommendations and experiences please share as I'm sure we are not the only ones facing this dilema. Thanks all

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 13:16:05 PM »
Eric,

Yes we've done it.

Get in touch with Starman, he sorted out all of ours for us.

Yes, you must have a Residence Permit but there's no need to go to Izmir to clear the import.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf