Author Topic: visa hop vs residency permit  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Bridie

visa hop vs residency permit
« on: August 18, 2007, 13:37:04 PM »
I realise from this site and others that a lot of people choose to visa hop instead of applying for a residency permit.  WHY?
I understand the permit is not cheap but then nor is visa hopping.  I am coming out in October and am unsure of what to do.  Can anyone shed light on the subject for me please.
yours confused,  Bridie.

Offline philrose

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 14:41:09 PM »
Still visa hopping after a year! Probably will go for a residency once we get new passports as you can only get a residency up to the expiry date of your uk passport. That said we enjoy the trips (and the duty free and a bit of pork of course!). We've done both Mais and Rhodes (2 day holiday ;)) and are thinking of trying some cheap excursions to other places if we can do it a reasonable price.

BTW if you just do Mais as an option, when I worked it out last, it was cheaper than a residency

Offline teresa321

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 15:46:33 PM »
We went for residency just because we did not have to worry about going over/home every 3 months, I thought it would become a bind. We have not been back to the UK in 1 year, went to Rhodes but that is expensive and nothing to make me want to go there every 3 months. The Mais trip is cheaper but very quick.

I think it possibly depends on whether you plan on regular trips to the UK as well. We do see plenty of people arranging their trips en masse so that can be a help - although I am pleased we do not have to bother. I could add that we do not drink spirits or smoke so that is not of interest either, and friends do get us a few pork chops (and Cadburys chocolate):D if we want them.

You pays yer money ............

P.S  if you are not sure why not try the first 6 months or year by doing the trips. It will be Winter when you come so I think your only option in Turkey will be Mais, but I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 15:50:59 PM by teresa321 »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:55:46 AM »
Depends on whether you can afford pay out a large amount of money for a Residence Permit in one go, or have a Tourist Visa "on the knock".

Offline ladydiver

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:17:04 AM »
Does anyone know the current prices for a residency permit?
Kaz:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:24:41 AM »
I think it's 510 YTL for a year.

Offline ladydiver

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:33:50 AM »
Thanks KKOB, much appreciated  :):D

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
We moved here in May and Fi got a one year residents permit so that we could import our furniture(it's a must have or you have to pay a tax yearly from what we can understand). It also helped ref phone, ADSL etc but I do not think it's a must have for those.
Eric does the Meis trip and having worked out the costs we are thinking that we will just do that after Fi's residents permit runs out as it's cheaper you can get duty free, pork chops (yummy) and we found it a pleaant day out.
Have not done the Rhodes trip thats for next year now.
Fi & Eric

Offline Bridie

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 15:56:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Think I might visa hop for the 1st 6 months as I have to go home in April for my grandads 100th birthday,  but will consider the residency permit for next year, save the hassle.
Counting down in the weeks now,  can't wait to join you all.
See you soon,  Bridie.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 14:31:25 PM »
We are coming out in September and plan to rent for 6 months (if we can find an apartment) does the Meis ferry run all year?  Glo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf