Author Topic: Pensions & Tax  (Read 10946 times)

Offline kaptainkrunchie

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 15:21:54 PM »
Filled the forms in about 9 months ago to have my private pension taxed in Turkey (0% so told) Duly sent off to Ankara together with all the support paperwork duly notarised etc

About 27th of every month since have had an email from Ankara asking for another piece of paper, more information, or can I resend a form but this time please have it notarised.

I have come to the conclusion that the guy only looks at my file once a month and decides how much more hassle he can give me!!!

THEN, 27th February came and went and no email from Ankara asking for a copy of my mother's maiden aunt's notarised birth certificate!!!

Better phone Ankara I thought - maybe this guy can now put the one signature and stamp on the form, HMIR will give me a nice tax rebate and and can offload this and swell the coffers of the local economy.

NAAAAH, 'Sorry Kaptin Bay we are changing the tax system in Turkey and everything is on hold until that is sorted out - maybe one year maybe more!!!'

Does anyone agree that everyday things just get a leeetle more difficult

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »
right, i have sucesfully done this now.
 as a uk citizen recieving a pension and residing in turkey you can opt out of the uk tax system. under the dual taxion treaty with turkey.... you apply to the uk tax centre for non-residents and get the forms from them. the difficult part as mentioned above is getting the tax office to sign the forms. .
made easy for me with the help of my mrs who is a notary translator.
the rest is quite straightforward.
the good news is that pensions are zero taxed in turkey.
anyone needing help with the process email me and i will put you in touch with my wife.

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
Hi,If you choose to live in Turkey as a retired person,due to the double taxation treaty,you do not pay tax in the UK on normal or private pensions.  You heve to get the paperwork from the UK first.Then you visit theMaliye (tax office in fethiye)and get them to sign a form to confirm you are here and will pay any taxes requiredThere is no retirement visa(residency) as such just a normal residency visa if you choose to get one.(it is still ok to use 3 month visitor visa but complicates various items you may want to buy like houses telephones etc.Assuming you do not work here the only tax you pay is deducted from your bank interest.By arranging with uk pensions you have them paid into a bank of your choice,ie here in turkey.The paperwork is a pain and can take about three months to fully complete.With respect to Vexaar,you cannot!bring a car into turkey indefinitely!There is a scheme to do this if you are retired ie over 65.Its loosely called the blue plate scheme,its operated by the turkish motor club on behalf of the goverment.But you have to deposit a sum of money to the goverment whilst on the scheme it is returned to you when the vehicle is taken out.(hopefully)Hope this helps,its a bit brief but cant go on to much.good luck

Offline Diverbaz 1

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »

Useful UK site regarding pensions being paid abroad. Also an extract from the site regarding Government and Local Government pensions.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensioners/paying-abroad.htm

quote:
‘Government' pensions (pensions paid to former Government employees)
It is normally the case that a pension that is paid by the Government of a territory to one of its former employees will continue to be taxed by that Government. Some double taxation treaties provide also that pensions which are paid to former employees of local authorities will continue to be taxable in the country that is making the payments. However, that is not always what has been agreed in a particular double taxation treaty. For that reason it is important to check the text of the relevant treaty.

Turkey does not have an agreement in their treaty in respect of these pensions. Therefore the pensions are taxed at source in the UK.

(I would be happy if someone could prove different)

Baz 8)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 15:30:36 PM »
also watch out if you are "living" in turkey but have an address for the likes of nhs treatment in the uk, as these uk government bodies will one day speak the same launguage and you maybe refused treatment

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 15:37:03 PM »
Government bodies speaking the same language? my pension will be run out by then.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 15:45:24 PM »
LoL

Offline wickwilly

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 17:59:12 PM »
Baz. If you go to Revenue and Customs site and then click on DT Digest it gives you a list of Countries with double taxation agreement. Click on Turkey and scroll across to Pensions. It states that if you are resident in Turkey and are a national then you are exempt from Tax.Therefore,I suggest you apply for  Turkish nationality and you should then be tax exempt. Simple eh?.!!!!

WW

Offline Diverbaz 1

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 19:19:46 PM »

Yes Alan, and I still need another 4 Years residency before I can apply. ;)

Baz 8)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 05:54:45 AM »
Government departments do speak the same language......It is called GOBBLEDEGOOK:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf