Author Topic: Bowie First Album Release For 10 Years  (Read 5193 times)

Offline valleyboy

Bowie First Album Release For 10 Years
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
After a period of musical retirement / recluse, David Bowie is about to release his first album for 10 years."The Next Day" is due to be released in the UK on March 11th and a single released from the album "Where Are We Now ?" is released to celebrate the "Thin White Duke's" 66th birthday today, have a listen now below, it's a little melancholy, but personally I love it !   :)

This is all great news for fans of this musical genius !   :)

Where Are We Now ?

http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

Offline angela

Re: Bowie First Album Release For 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
I heard it this morning for the first time, might take a while to grow on me. Someone commented that it sounded like it was on the wrong speed, those were the days!   :)

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
Its rubbish, imo

Offline Steve A

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 16:22:11 PM »
I like it and definitely think its a grower

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 21:41:05 PM »
Very disappointed in his choice of single release. Heard it 4 times today and I think its awful. He sounds really old in it, it's like a dirge and depressing and just does not do him justice at all.  Sometime there comes a time to call it a day, and his day is now. I'm saddened as I was sucha big fan of his previously.

Offline philrose

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »
can't say I like it. But I don't think he's made a decent album since Scary Monsters...

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:26:16 AM »
I think it's a definite grower and in my opinion the adjectives I'd probably use to describe it would be; reflective, haunting or interesting, but that's the great thing about music I guess, we all have different tastes and ideas about it   :).

A part of Bowie's musical mastery is that he has always changed with the times and constantly been dynamic with his creativity, his career has spanned so many decades, and has morphed into so many different characters it has left us with a wide spectrum of music to listen to and sometimes be confused by  ???. So, Major Tom, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, or a reflective old man !, he still remains an enigma !.

Those of us who were captivated and spell bound by "Ziggy" in the 70's have also matured musically and have subsequently altered what we like to listen to, all interesting stuff !.

Back to the single, which will probably remain "musical Marmite"   ;)  :). Nevertheless I look forward to hearing the rest of the album and hope there are a few more up tempo numbers on it.   :) 

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 13:17:24 PM »
Bowie has been one of the greatest loves of my life !!   Since the age of 12 I have been totally obsessed by the man and his immense talent.  As a teenager / early 20s I travelled across Europe following his concerts.  However, I have to agree with Toky.....the single released yesterday left me cold...either my tastes have changed or he's lost it !  Very little to inspire me on this one.....lets hope the rest of his album has some hidden treasures, because otherwise, I think he should have stayed that recluse and left us with those wonderful memories of his classics.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 13:32:25 PM »
Love Bowie, but this one is a grower, sound a little like his Laughing Gnome days but with a tad more sophistication? 
Can't beat Ziggy and Aladdin Sane though.  ;D

Offline yabanci

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 16:37:53 PM »
He sounds really old in it,

He is 66 years old,bless him.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf