Author Topic: FREE LAPTOPS FOR KIDS YR3-YR9  (Read 2226 times)

Offline marytheresa

« on: January 14, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
Yes free laptops for kids from school year 3 to year 9 theses will be given to families on low incomes and in receipt of benefits so call this number 0333-200-1004------ let other people know as they may know a family in need. :)

Offline Tori___

FREE LAPTOPS FOR KIDS YR3-YR9
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
Mary Theresa do you have any details of this in Turkish?!
I will send it to ex cousin in law (is that even a person!)

Many Thanks
x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
There was a debate on T.V. about this last week. Some of the panel thought that this is just a vote catcher by the Labour Party, and it's going to cost millions, and will be open to abuse. i.e. computers being resold, children/adults using them for games etc., No one knows how these computers could be monitored once they are in a home.   The general opinion was the money could be better spent on things that are really needed in this country.

Offline Tori___

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
Ohhh jesoo!
I thought it was in Turkey!
Doh!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 15:00:11 PM »
thanks Marytheresa - have posted this info to my facebook wall... I have several friends who have really struggled to try to afford a computer for their kid/s... hopefully they'll be able to benefit from this offer....

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 17:13:58 PM »
Hi Nichola

No problem I hope that all get one i really do!!!:D

Jaqcui i hear what you are saying  :)but hey lets not forget every countries future is it children so i think its about time the government invested in its future there are thousand of kids out there living below the bread line who at times need a bit of help!!

As for the government well it would be easy to montor it through schools and the laptops given to the kids through the school so there was no cheating and at the end of the day it is down to the personal scruples of the parents if they keep or sell the laptops on and you cant blame a kid or stop caring for them if they have lousy parents !!!!

There are thousands of people comminting benefit fraud while living abroad not seen a discussion on telly about that yet maybe its time the labour government got a few quid back that way to pay for the laptops:D(just a thought) :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 17:34:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

it's going to cost millions, and will be open to abuse.

Unlike the benefit system, where benefits are invariably used to buy muesli and Clarks shoes rather than Aldi lager and fags. Why would this need to be singled out as costing loads and being open to abuse? Nobody thinks that the money spent on giving kids musical instruments to use at home is money unwisely spent. Nobody would expect to see a school violin listed on Ebay so why the downer on underprivileged kids who happen to have a talent for computing rather than music?

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 17:35:48 PM »
Here here Keith !!:D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 19:43:50 PM »
The scheme is going to cost £300 million and the government have still to say where the money will come from.  A government that cannot afford to give women with breast cancer the drugs they need, or dementia suffers herceptin.
I don't mind them giving kids computers, but I think some would say it's a cynical move just before an election.
My daughter had a clarinet lent to her by the school which was signed for by me.  It went back to the school when she gave up her lessons.  They did not buy her a brand new clarinet to take home and keep.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 19:55:54 PM »
Children could be lent a laptop, signed for by the parent, and it could go back when they no longer need it. Why is the clarinet acceptable investment and a laptop not?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf