Author Topic: max bygraves  (Read 2329 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Re: max bygraves
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
If he was campaigning for the conservative party would he have said 'I want to sell you a Tory'?  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »
Another loss - and probably one of the last - from that formidable generation of post-war entertainers.  Love him or like him (I don't really know anyone who hated him) he was one of the biggest stars of the 50s and 60s across British entertainment, live, TV and film.  Which was why I was surprised when it was reported that he had died that the BBC barely mentioned it.  At the same time they reported fully on the death of Hal David, an american lyricist who had far less impact on British culture than Byegraves.  Looks to me like the BBC is slipping in its duty to report on all aspects of British culture ... shame on them.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
max bygraves
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »
I beg to differ, I think Hal David had a far bigger impact on British culture than Max ever did.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
I beg to differ, I think Hal David had a far bigger impact on British culture than Max ever did.
Interesting point Rimms, but then it depends on how you measure impact on British Culture.  You'll have already seen Max related qoutes above - Tell you a story, Sing a long a max, you need hands etc. - and so you begin to understand that he has had an impact, and indeed left a legacy, on British culture.  During the 50s and 60s was possibly the biggest performer in the UK, aside from Norman Wisdom, on television, recording, stage and film, with huge audiences, measured in tens of millions.

With the exception of a handful of Bacharach/David songs covered by British artists (Cilla Black et al) you'll be hard put to find much of a contribution to British culture by Hal David.  That's not to demean his work in anyway, but he was an American writing for an American audience, and overwhelmingly for American artists, that was heard and bought in the UK market.  I am the greatest advocate of the power of the songwriter (including David as a lyricist) however in the matter of British culture David was a pygmy to the goliath (LOL) Max ... which is why I cannot understand the BBC making more of David than Bygraves, particularly as the 'engine' and 'sounding board' of British Culture.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
max bygraves
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 13:12:39 PM »
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I believe that music has a massive impact in forming and shaping culture, I took the liberty of copying the list of songs from his website, a truly amazing collection

24 Hours from Tulsa

A House is Not a Home

Alfie

America Is

American Beauty Rose

Anyone Who Had a Heart

Blue on Blue

Close to You

Do You Know the Way to San Jose

Don't Make Me Over

I Say a Little Prayer

It Was Almost Like a Song

Johnny Get Angry

Magic Moments

Make It Easy on Yourself

Message to Michael

My Heart is an Open Book

One Less Bell to Answer

Open Your Arms to the World

Promises, Promises

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

Reach Out for Me

The April Fools

The Look of Love

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

There's Always Something There
to Remind Me

This Guy's in Love With You

To All the Girls I've Loved Before

Trains and Boats and Planes

Walk on By

What the World Needs Now is Love

What's New pussycat?

Wishin' and Hopin'

Wives and Lovers

You'll Never Get to Heaven
(If you Break My Heart)

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 14:54:18 PM »
Rimms I was fully aware of many of those songs were co-written by Hal David, but I am not doubting at all his contribution to music/songwriting.  What I am arguing is that what he has done has not 'sprung' from British culture or lifestyle, or has driven on British culture as a result of his song writing, he may indeed have inspired or influenced some individual British lyricists, but not British culture.

Just to be a little controversial I might be persuaded to argue that Lennon/McCartney and a few other British songwriters did have a (strong) influence on American culture, but then again perhaps only as much as an equal handful of Candian song writers. : :)

Offline patrice

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 19:07:28 PM »
 My parents both in their late eighties were  fans of Max .To them he was a household name .
They were surprised that there was very little mention of his death I think that more or less sums it up
 :( ???

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 23:00:13 PM »
sorry max thought you was dead already

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
Great entertainer,btw what is Hal David doing on the Max Bygraves post ,put on one of his own if you think he deserves it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf