Author Topic: I'd give them 5 years off their sentance.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: I'd give them 5 years off their sentance.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 22:44:42 PM »
Sad that it took a "cowardly attack" Pete, where a death sentence for child killers would have prevented the requirement for it.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 22:49:30 PM »
Death sentence for child killers gets my vote - eg John Venables

Offline grahamturner09

I'd give them 5 years off their sentance.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 16:50:09 PM »
I hope they had the time to make him suffer. no great loss as far as I am concerned. He Would have got out one day with the soft government we have he won't now

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 18:00:07 PM »
Death sentence for child killers gets my vote - eg John Venables
Now let's see if I've got this right H.  As a sentence you'd be OK with the state on your behalf executing a child who commits the terrible crime, as a child, of killing another child?  If so I'm not sure what would be the most heneous of these two child killings, the original murder, or the state sponsored killing of the child in the name of a justice.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 18:18:59 PM »
Sad that it took a "cowardly attack" Pete, where a death sentence for child killers would have prevented the requirement for it.

The death sentence may seem a sensible and indeed rational idea, and aligns nicely with the old testament view of a life for a life.  However, when the justice system gets it wrong and convicts the wrong person for murder of a child, as it has in many cases, including innocent mothers convicted of killing their own children, we then have more than one victim of murder.  The difference being that one is state sponsored murder of an innocent that we can not bring back.

Still... why not apply the death sentence, if you get it wrong occasionally it's probably a price worth paying in order to deliver a justice.  An uncivilised form of bronze age justice yes, but justice nonetheless.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 19:12:42 PM »
That is the reason I would never support the death sentence as an option in sentencing - but there are, sadly, plenty of paedophile crimes that leave indisputable evidence of guilt. Where evidence such as DNA is irrefutable, these people should be terminated.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 19:37:39 PM »
That's exactly how I see it Keith. 
Science has come such a long way it is now possible to prove without a reasonable doubt that there is indeed a guilty party in the dock.

Offline angela

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
It is a very contentious subject, and while  I agree on many levels that we should have capital punishment, in a way that is an easy get out, whereas the waking up behind bars every day, the mind numbing monotony, and time to reflect on your actions, coupled with the potential fear of your fellow inmates dishing out punishment must make you want to die every day, and being denied that oblivion is somehow justice in itself.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
Angela, yes any of your points would drive any normal person crazy. I’m almost stir crazy waiting for the plumber.
To commit an act that some consider so bad the punishment is your own life, is not normal.
The sentences are not long enough and these offenders are released back into society.

It really is a problem. What do we do with those who are a danger to others when their sentence ends? Unless you are in a secure mental unit, you are free to go.

Parole is granted to those who have behaved themselves and are not a danger to others, but those who have caused problems are refused parole and made to serve the whole of their sentence.

Parole has conditions. They have a parole officer and need to satisfy these conditions, if they miss-behave they can be sent back to finish their sentence.
Those who have caused trouble are refused parole, kept until the end of their sentence and simply let out. They have done their time and are free.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
What about those who murder or rape or molest while on parole? It happens, and wouldn't if they were terminated. Parole is often just a challenge, to make people believe you are not a danger to others, where in reality, you hoodwinked people who should know better into letting you loose to ruin the lives of more people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf