Author Topic: F or C?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline angela

Re: F or C?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
I'm ok with C, but feet and inches and stones and pounds every time for me, I can't work without my trusty conversion charts, and dont think I ever will.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
I have my satnav set to metres and miles  :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »
I do read it and understand in C, but still by habit convert it back .... daft I know but old habits die hard :-\

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
BTW Colwyn don't forget that 6 guineas, thirteen shilling and sixpence three farthing you owe me, otherwise I may need to put my 30cm down, as I do not want to end up in quart  ;)  ;)

Offline angela

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
but do you remember the thrill of a threepennny (or a tuppeny if times were bad) bit to go to the shop for sweeties, these days nothing less than a quid would do.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 11:27:44 AM »
You'll not get a groat out me, UBT. That job you did was a cubit too short and only delivers a gill per peck.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
but do you remember the thrill of a threepennny (or a tuppeny if times were bad) bit to go to the shop for sweeties, these days nothing less than a quid would do.

Tell me about it, on my last run home to the UK I went to Tesco Express and they charged me 60 pence for a Mars bar, that's 12 bob in old money!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »
That was possibly the biggest shock for me when we returned to the UK after 5 years abroad. How the hell did a single chocolate bar get to these prices??!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
You would think children ought to be finished with their schooling by the time they are twelve. After all they don't have to learn all the ludicrous measures we had to memorize. There were 20 shillings in a pound or 240 pennies. There were also 20 hundredweights in a ton but there were a hundred and twelve pounds in a hundredweight so a ton was a mighty 2240 pounds. Whoever dreamed up 1756 yards would be really good number to call a mile? And that 22 of them would constitute a chain and could double up as the length of a cricket pitch? The mind boggles at the logic that one acre was made out of 4,840 square yards so that it would equal 0.0015625 square miles.

On the other hand I suppose they have to learn lots of things we didn't. Like how to make an atomic bomb; and the names of 22 central Asian countries ending with -stan when we called them all the USSR.

Offline Lotty

F or C?
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 13:08:03 PM »
Think it's 1760 yards in a mile, (drummed in rote fashion daily at school along with our times tables!)
16 oz in a pound
2240 pounds in a ton
4 gills in 1 pint
8 pints in a gallon
1 acre 4840 sq yards
Etc etc etc . . .

Odd how these things stick, yet I can't get my head around metric!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf