Author Topic: Sir Winston Churchill  (Read 1860 times)

Offline suehugh

Re: Sir Winston Churchill
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 18:15:45 PM »
Churchill was one of our greatest statesman. Yes he was flawed but he was right for the wartime prime ministers role
Not sure I agree with all the palaver today though. A lot of expense, when there are many existing memorials to him already.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 18:29:37 PM »
Without Sir Winston Churchill there would have been no Clement Attlee to succeed him.  In fact, there would have been no more Prime Ministers of G.B. There would have been a German Chancellor.   
I also am not interested in politics in this matter, just a remarkable leader.   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 15:54:02 PM »

Time's up Des - here's the answer

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 16:22:55 PM »
Sometimes John you really show your  true self. a little man , with little man syndrome, what a stupid question you asked, as I had already said in my post, I watched the funeral of Sir Winston when I was a young lad, and I had now watched the 50 year anniversary on world TV,  along with millions of people all over the world. And I thought It was a nice tribute to a great statesman whatever your personal political preference  may be, I will never respond to you again in any topic. you disappoint me . Regard Des.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 18:14:17 PM »
Oh dear, H, you have "disappointed" The High and Mighty Des. (I don't think he really understood your posts). Still, looking on the bright side, he will never respond to any of your posts again. I do hope he does me the same favour.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 19:29:03 PM »
Des
John / Highlander has shown time and time again what a BIG man he is. He gets off his arse and helps others less fortunate.

Please put me on your " don't respond to " list, I will do likewise.

What a nasty post.          :( :(

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 22:17:52 PM »
Absolutely no excuse to be so rude... I think you should apologise to John

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 01:03:42 AM »
Sometimes John you really show your  true self. a little man , with little man syndrome

You're coming across as a serious dick...

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
I'm with Colwyn on Churchill being the greatest 'wartime leader' we have ever had, although Pitt the Younger might be close or even in front on a real historical analysis of achievement.  This is because Churchill had many failings as a 'peacetime' leader not least in Ireland (including the introduction of the Black and Tans); the reintroduction of the Gold Standard that was a primary factor in the crippling of the British economy for the next 12 years or so  (only alleviated paradoxically by the build up to WW2) and which probably led directly to the 1929 General strike (where Churchill actions also should be deplored); his actions and indeed in-actions over the British Empire, particularly India; and finally as a war time leader you need to put into the balance the Churchill led fiasco of Gallipoli in WW1.

On the question of the wartime leadership I would remind Des, that it was Labour that 'brokered' the deal to put Churchill in as Prime Minister in 1940( largely the work of Clem Atlee and Arthur Greenwood) as he was the only potential leader from a number of Conservative Party 'potential leaders'  who could be trusted not to do a deal with Hitler.  And not forgetting of course that the wartime cabinet and government was made up of a number of Labour members, who done a fantastic job of getting the country (and indeed empire) on a wartime footing to enable Churchill - who had little or no interest in the day to day workings of a wartime nation - to lead the country as a a figurehead, wartime leader and as important to help bring the USA into the war on the British side.  Amongst those Labour members was the 'political colossus'  Ernest Bevin and of course Des's maligned Clem Atlee.

And H's point on Churchill was not missed on me and I did not have to look it up in Google   ;) Sorry I was going to also add, which wasn't a bad wartime record for an English man of half american descent!!.

Offline davybill

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
It looks like Des is starting his  own war on CBF. :'( :o :-\ :'( :'( :'( ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf