Author Topic: Where to begin, that's the problem.  (Read 4748 times)

Offline snowtop

Where to begin, that's the problem.
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:34:22 AM »
Where to begin, that's the problem.

First lets look at what Grievance actually is.
In my opinion, Grievance is Self Pity. 
The person’s I am grieving for are not looking down on me because they are dead, lets not gloss over the word. 
They are like a switched off TV.  The power has been cut off and there is nothing there except in my memory 
They are the past, not the present nor the future, just a strong memory in someones mind.
We do not grieve for the person who has left us, we feel sorry for ourselves because we are going to miss them, not them miss us.

Accepting the Loss of someone.
This I think is the hardest part of all. 
Every individual has their own way of dealing with it and no way is the right or wrong way.
I was in the pool yesterday and wanted a coffee, I thought to myself ‘’No Alan she isn’t here, buck up, deal with it and get out and get your own coffee).
A common thought is, ‘I wish’  ‘I wish I had taken her to (somewhere)’ or ‘I wish we had done (something)’ or ‘I wish I had bought her (something)’ or ‘I wish we hadn’t argued’  the list could go on.
The point I am trying to make is, all the things that upset us begins with either, me - I - we - us. This is Self Pity in my mind, don’t get me wrong, it is natural and expected, but how you deal with it is the important thing

Dealing with it.
I cannot tell you how to deal with it all.  Everybody has to find their own way of coping with the situation.
All I can do is relay to you my thoughts and way that I deal with it.  It may seem callous to you but at times it’s a case of, if I don’t get a grip of myself, I will get into depression or turn to booze or spending the rest of my life feeling sorry for myself and ending up a very lonely old man and that is not going to happen!.   
Your friends will only put up with your sulking or harping on about how you are missing your lost one for a short period of time then they will drift away which is quite understandable.
Another thing is, if you are continually in the Self Sympathy mode, you end up at home all alone which will make you more depressed than you already are.
You have to try and think logical thoughts about the situation you are in and how best to deal with it.
My way is, as soon as I get that tug of the heart feeling which happens every day, I take a deep breath and say ‘Self pity again Alan? Get a grip of yourself boy’
Would Pete or Ann want to see me like this? feeling so sad for myself?. Would they be happy at seeing me in this miserable state because of their deaths?’  The answer to that is a definite NO!!
Would they prefer to see me as happy as is possible and enjoying life, the answer would be YES!!!

Some people never get over the loss and it can seriously affect a persons marriage, their own personality or future in a big way.
Stop saying to yourself, ‘He or she was my best pal’ You already know that so why keep torturing yourself by keep saying it and ending up being miserable again.  There is someone close to me who is not dealing with the situation very well, hopefully I can help a little by writing this not so cheerful letter.
Some people, because of their beliefs  are convinced that their beloved departed are watching over them.  If that gives them comfort, excellent.
I am not in that category, that is why I say that this is my own way of dealing with a horrible situation.

If I can help just one person to cope with their loss with this letter I will be very happy.
For those of you in my situation, remember, all is  not lost and the world and your life carries on  so try and grit the teeth and deal with it as best as you can.

Offline SteveJ

Re: Where to begin, that's the problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Then be very happy   :)

Offline snowtop

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks steve you have made my day.

Offline patrice

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
Snowtop I do feel for you I have recently lost two family members that were very close to me .Reading your post somehow put it into prospective, yes I got a little choked up reading it  but what you said sums up some of my feelings. Rightly said that we all deal with our grief in different ways and there is no right or wrong.
Your loss is still very recent and maybe your friends are more tolerable than you think and I am sure they will support you for as long as you need them to do so its what friends do. I have  a friend who lost her partner five years ago and she is still finding it hard to cope and I like to think I can  still be there for her when she wants a shoulder to cry on like wise for me.
Unfortunately losing loved ones is a part of  life and being able to express our thoughts and feelings is all part of the healing process
Take care Snowtop 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:14:59 AM by patrice »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 16:48:37 PM »
Wow Snowtop!. What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing and much respect to you for allowing us to understand something so personal to you. Keep strong.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 23:14:56 PM »
Unfortunately there are so many in that area in the same position as you Alan... It is a British "thing" to avoid the subject of death and many will avoid you through embarrassment... From my experience of friends who have lost their partner, your feelings are all very natural...you have suffered two very tragic losses in a short period of time.. No one can predict how they will react... Slowly, slowly... Seems the way forward. Only someone in your position would understand... I admire you for sharing your thoughts in this forum... I have no doubts that if you want to carry on sharing them as an outlet then no one will object. It may help others in the future. Anne x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 23:44:58 PM »
Snowtop this is such a unique post for CBF. I can't think about even the idea of having to contemplate the things you are now finding yourself analysing. It is a truly remarkable piece of work and even more remarkable that you found the strength and desire to share it.

Just...thank you.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »
Alan reading this it is palpable to feel your raw pain.  There is not much anyone can say at the moment to make you feel better.    Just know you have friends on this Forum who will read and understand.  Please don.t hesitate to come back and share your feelngs with us anytime.

Offline snowtop

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
Thank you all for your replies, however I am not saying I feel lonely because I am not.  I have quite a few friends I can talk to whenever I want.
I have 2 particular friends who are making sure I have plenty to do and we carry on as if Ann were here.  No, sympathy, (although gratefully received) was not my intention of this post.  It was meant to try and help someone else, (if needed) through their loss
It was a letter I composed for a member of my family  but I thought it may help if I shared my thoughts with people who may benefit from it. 
At some stage in life we are all going to go through this experience and there are a huge amount of people who have been through it or are there now. 
Maybe I should have given my reason for posting at the beginning of my original post.
Anyway, thanks for letting me share  my thoughts with you all, it has also helped me a little.
For all you out there in the a similar position as me, do not let it control you.  You must try and control it.
Grit your teeth and good luck to you all.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »
Very inspiring and very thoughtful of you to share your thoughts on your experience, snowtop.

Thank you very much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf