Author Topic: sky card changeover.  (Read 2936 times)

Offline geordieboy

sky card changeover.
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:30:57 AM »
Sky are sending out new cards to all of their customers,I originally acquired my Sky card from a firm in the UK who supply cards abroad.
I contacted the firm about the changeover and was informed the price for doing so was £149.As we are changeing over to HD,and I already have a brand new Freesat HD box from the UK,which works perfect out here,and which has a better pick up than the Sky box,I took great pleasure in telling them to poke the card up their jacksy.
Getting slightly off subject,I read somewhere that the donkeys in Brussels are bringing out legistlation by the end of the year where all tv broadcasts will be available to everyone,ie ITVand BBC player which you can only get in Britain will be received anywhere.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
sky card changeover.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
Geordieboy - do you mean that your "freesat" box enables you to watch freeview channels in Turkey?

Ian

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
sky card changeover.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Ian - freesat and freeview are slightly different. I have both in the UK and they compliment each other so well.

Freeview is the service you get through your aerial. It is now usually incorporated in all new lcd tv's and gives you all the normal channels plus things like Sky Sports news and Sky 3 as well as quite a few others. Have a look at their website for details:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

Freesat is the one you need for Turkey. This is the one that ITV and BBC have brought out to take on Sky and provide HD TV. It's free satellite and includes HD if you buy a HD Freesat box and have an HD ready TV (only BBC HD and ITV had available at present though). I love it as it not only picks up the normal channels but also many many others if you go into 'non freesat mode'. As you would expect though Sky have pulled their channels - that's why the two systems together are so good. You wiil need a decent dish in Turkey though - maybe 2 or 3 mtrs.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:34:53 AM by stoop »

Offline geordieboy

sky card changeover.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
As stoop quite rightly points out you get the stations as quoted on the freesat website out here in Turkey.We have a 3metre dish,I can't make any comment as to the minimum size dish you need to pick up the signal.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
sky card changeover.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 16:11:27 PM »
Many thanks to both of you - I can see a freesat box on sale at argos for £50 so thought it might work in Turkey but although I have have 2 dishes on the roof they are only 1 meter dishes so I suspect that will be a problem?

I initially thought for £50 I could take it over - plug it in and see if it work and if not use it at home - but after talking to an "aerial man" in rochdale he seemed to be saying you won't get many more channels than I get on freeview and the xtra ones are useless!!!
(not a very good salesman)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
sky card changeover.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 16:30:22 PM »
If you have a sky dish at home and are not using it then it really depends on what type of programs you watch. Lots more movie channels on freesat than freeview and I agree lots that you won't use. However if you have and HD ready tv then you can pay about £100 and get a freesat HD box which will get you awesome BBC programs and some on ITV (footy especially). Believe me you will notice the difference.

Either way you could always try it and flog it on ebay if you don't like it.

Freesat is also good (so I'm told) if you like the channels where you can ring up and talk to naked ladies at the same time as watching them. Not sure why anyone would want to do that though?

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
sky card changeover.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 16:37:07 PM »
Stoop - my "plan" would mean that I would have to have a dish installed at home as I don't currently have one - so now it would be £80 for dish fitted plus £50 for box - then I thought I could use it at home for extra channels and then take it across to Fethiye - if it worked leave it there and buy another one and if it did't bring it back - but obviously don't want to go to all that trouble if I don't get many more channels at home as I suspect that it where i will end up using it.

As regards the naked ladies I seem to spend half my life waiting for "she who must be obeyed" in that state telling me she is nearly ready whenever we are going out"  8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 16:37:33 PM by Ian »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf