Author Topic: Should our NHS pick up the flak from cosmetic procedures carried out abroad  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Sooo which members watched the prog last night Sun sea and surgury?
 My question is should our already overstretched NHS pick up the pieces from surgury carried out abroad that has been done for cosmetic purposes, or should these patients be made to pay for their treatment?
I could not believe how a major operation like a tummy tuck was added on at the 11th hour to one girl who was having a total of 4 procedures all done at once.
Her words on arriving back to uk she had spent either a lot of time in hospital or at hospital she had a clot and other probs.
It was a riveting watch but made me really cross!

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
I've recorded this - but I recall when I went to my UK NHS dentist proudly showing off my Turkish dental implants, she actually said to me that if I had any problems from them, the NHS wouldn't treat me. 

Offline Steve A

I watched it ,it was quite good.A very professional set up,great business model,a seemingly great surgeon all at a “knock down” price.Didnt think one of these girls really anticipated what was involved,the pain and the long recovery.
As far as NHS treatment it’s a definite NO from me.This was optional surgery for cosmetic reasons done outside of the U.K. but essentially outside of U.K. standards or controls.Anything arising should be paid for by them not the tax payer.

Offline Ray1951

There’s no way the NHS should pick up the bill for ongoing treatment following someone paying for cosmetic surgery abroad.  I know that this company are a business but surely patents should stay longer to ensure recovery but I suppose that wouldn’t free up the apartments for new patients.  At least the program didn’t slate the surgeons etc.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Whilst I don't agree that the NHS should pick-up the cost, you can't really expect staff to turn a patient with a life threatening illness away just because they'd had the original treatment, that had gone wrong, abroad.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
This opens up a huge debate.  The NHS treats all the youngsters who go out at a weekend and drink to oblivion, the drug addicts who overdose, all of which are self inflicted.  It's the same argument really - should the NHS refuse to treat anybody who suffers as a result of something that they did to themselves?

Offline Steve A

Different argument to drink,drugs etc.although they may be “self inflicted “,this is risk laden surgery we are talking about why should we pick up the bill for people who despite knowing this go ahead anyway.
They should be forced to take out insurance to cover the cost of ongoing treatment if required.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf