Author Topic: Underline Adverts  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Underline Adverts
« on: December 10, 2012, 16:01:03 PM »
I noticed first on this forum, then I saw it on another. What is it with a few words haphazardly gaining underlining and then these being links to various adverts but the vast majority being about winning an intellectual phone? And will this post appear with underlining once I've submitted it?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Underline Adverts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 16:13:42 PM »
I have seen this on many sites - not on here though. I'd know about it if such a thing was happening on here surely...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 16:17:52 PM »
Ah, now you've acquired an underline I seem to have gotten rid of mine. Except I expect it's transferred to this post now.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 16:19:26 PM »
Could it be something your browser is doing? I have the opportunity to add them to the forum but I don't like them  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 16:23:41 PM »
So now I can change my question. How can I get rid of this damned underlining stuff? I do not want an iPhone, have never wanted an iPhone and never will want an iPhone. Go away.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 19:40:18 PM »
Are you iSure ?

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 23:24:53 PM »
It's not on this forum it's on your browser.

If you use Chrome or Firefox then Google "adblock for ******" (****** = your browser type!) & add this as an extension to your browser. If you're using Internet Explorer change to Chrome or Firefox & do the same!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
Thanks Supercaddy. I already had Adblock Plus in my extensions but the nasty little irritation managed to get through. The cuiprit is CouponDropDown. I looked to find it in add-ons and plug-ins to delete it but couldn't find it. I looked for it in Control Panel/Programs to uninstall it but again couldn't find it. I downloaded Malwarebyte free software and this has lessened the problem. Now the underlining is still there but if you pass over it with the cursor it just demands I click on it rather than immediately dropping an advert for a damned iPhone. Rather less irritating.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The first time my cursor touches the underlined word down comes the advert! Subsequent passes just lead to click demand.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:21:43 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-coupondropdown-adware-and-uninstall-the-coupondropdown-extension/

There is some info here that may help.

If you do a "full" scan on MWB it should remove it for you, bear in mind this can take several hours depending on your pc.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 14:04:55 PM »
Thanks Supercabby, I'll give it a go. Actually I tried it yesterday but when I realized it was going to take hours I moved my laptop out of the way, plugged into another socket and then forgot to switch on the socket. Doh!!! Sop my laptop ran on battery and, after 2 hours, it died. I got discouraged and just tried the quick scan.

MODIFY: Oh well, 3 hours later and the full scan is completed but no malicous objects found. CouponDD still there.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 17:05:49 PM by Colwyn »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf